Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my crank case split and ready to remove crank but I am stuck at the magneto end. Is this where I use the flywheel puller? and is it ok to hook it to the pulley? or am I missing a step?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
yes you need to use a flywhell puller. Use 3 appropriate bolts which thread into the mag wheel and from there its pretty simple, tighten until it pops off. Use an impact gun as a last resort, usually it will pop off by hand or with a love tap from the hammer.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just a few words of advice - make sure the bolts thread in enough, but not too much to damage the coils inside.

Also, thread them all in the same amount so that when you start cranking the big bolt in the middle down the puller doesn't get sideways on you.

Bryan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do not use the 3 jaw type on the pulley if that is what you are asking

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the warning because I was about to take a 3 jawed bearing puller to it....hahahah maybe I should wait on the repair manual to get here. Looks like I smoked the front main bearing on the crank and that's it. so what needs to be replaced??? bearings, pistons, what else since I have it apart this far??????

·
Registered
179 Posts
I didn't replace anything on mine when the pto bearing piled. just took it to a reputable sled machine shop and they checked it and said alls well..slapped a new bearing on and presto! I was back on the snow.
Actually I replaced one piston because the circlip part was damaged.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Go to an autozone and rent (or buy) the harmonic balancer puller. It's like $15 and I kept mine. I've used it on all my poo machines and even my Tigershark waverunner to pull the flywheels.

Bryan

·
Registered
661 Posts
Be careful if you do have to use a hammer. The ceramic magnets in the flywheel break very easy. Use a hard rubber mallet if a hammer is needed.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
^ what he said. Usually if its hard to come off you can tighten it as much as possible by hand and let it sit over night, come back the next morning and try again, sometimes they even pop off themselves while you let them sit under pressure. As far as the crank goes, it sounds like your not too familiar with them, have somebody check the rod tolerances, and other bearings while its out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts