Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you snowmachine building gurus.... I have plenty of rivets, the standard type.

But Im redoing the skid in my Wege and putting an Edge in it. I am building up some of the tunnel and need to re-enforce areas for the edge bolt holes etc.

Im looking for what type of rivets to use, the type I have on my drag car all have the "nipple" sticking out of the back, but the originals on it are flat on both sides of course. Is there a special gun and type of rivet I can use to keep the install as clean looking as the original?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
www.mcmastercarr.com has a Great selection of rivits. I am also happy with my local NAPA store.

Good luck!

edit- www.mcmaster.com has definitions of what rivits do what also. I searched for "rivits" and then clicked on "pop rivits"

It describes what rivits do what.. here is a little picture I snagged from there
[attachment=52392]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well pop rivits is the type I have. But when they "pop" they are not flush on the back. They have a "nipple" sticking off the back where its bulged out which is what secures the piece. The ones from the factory are flat on both the front and the back and looking for something similar.

but thanks for the link....

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have used the rivits that you use on sickle bar mowers. They are steel and need air gun and a steel hunk to smash the back flat.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Originally posted by Garceau
[br]Well pop rivits is the type I have. But when they "pop" they are not flush on the back. They have a "nipple" sticking off the back where its bulged out which is what secures the piece. The ones from the factory are flat on both the front and the back and looking for something similar.

but thanks for the link....
ok.. sounds like your talking about solid rivits? Although they don't "pop"
[attachment=52393] (took from mcmaster)

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Thats what I used on tunnel repairs and what not. They are strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3/16 pop rivets is what I use...There should be plenty of clearence on the inside of the tunnel for the track....I just upgraded the suspension in my T-cat, which required moving the rear hanger brackets forward...there is plenty of space.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I thought there might be. I even thought of using small bolt and a nylock type nut on it. With a button head allen head on the bolt. Would be simple and easy as well as clean looking.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you want to use the solid rivets, you'll need a 4x air hammer, the rivet sets, and a bucking bar. Some rivets are a tubular rivet; looks like a solid but the shank is hollow. They can be hammered too, but I believe they need a special set.
I have purchased rivets from www.hansonrivet.com and www.bylerrivet.com both are very helpful and the websites have lots of diagrams so you'll be able to find exactly what you are looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts