Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my dad for my stock pro-x seat for his silver shorty he had laying around, Now that i put it on, the tunnel that is showing where the old seat used to be looks nasty, almost like a rust, any suggestions on what cleaning products to use or other tips? Greatly appreciated!! BRAAAAAAP!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Any aluminum polish and loads of elbow grease. For the big areas you can use a clothball attached to a drill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i started using semichrome that works ok, but now i was kind of thinking diomond plating it

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Depending on how bad the surface is, wetsanding before you polish works wonders.

·
Registered
586 Posts
diamond plate is pretty heavy...wouldnt be too bad cause its just a small area but its a lot heavier than the tunnel material

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by Zippi
[br]diamond plate is pretty heavy...wouldnt be too bad cause its just a small area but its a lot heavier than the tunnel material
you can get thin guage diamond plate aluminum that's really no heavier than the aluminum of the tunnel.

what i did when i went from a standard edge seat to the shorty seat on my 800 was get some of that rustoleum textured paint. forget the name right off the bat. but it's basically aluminum color. just painted the top of the tunnel and it came out looking pretty good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did that paint hold up in the cold? I think i will try that wet sanding thing then polish some more see what happens... kind of sick of polishing, got some gnarly arm pump goin on!![:D]

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mothers Aluminum Polish works wonders. It wont take the corrosion spots out of the aluminum but where it isn't corroded it will put a nice shine on it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
id go wid the dimond plat...sick if you dont mothers works great on running boards so it should work there if not mothers u can us tarnite.. smells but works

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys! appreciate it! the new seat looks gnarly on my sled, its the black and grey one thought it was red when i talked to my dad about getting it, looks sweet! will post pictures soon!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
sand the bad spots out then polish it. Don't polish over the corrosion, it'll turn out like crap. For sanding I just go to 6 or 800 then take a high speed polisher. If polishing by hand you'll have to go to 1000 or more.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
when ya git r done post a pic on da thread

1 - 16 of 16 Posts