Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I will be tinting the windows on my wifes car this weekend, it tends to get really hot in there, and the interior is get sun beat, so am hoping that tinting will help.

If anybody has any tips, techniques or tricks to doing this, that would be great to hear it.

The tint kits come with instructions, but I wanted some opinions on the kit brands if anybody has before I pick one up.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have read that is one thing you make sure you get professionals to do or else it can just be a pain in the ass for you. Just saying what I have read.

If you insist on doing it yourself just do it carefully and make sure you have a lot of time to do it.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
tinting won't make the car much cooler.... What will make it cooler is painting it white :). the only time it will be cooler is when your in it, and the sun is being blocked by the tint from hitting your body. When the car is just sitting there, it will be just as hot inside when you get in while it has been parked. I think. I dunno for sure. try expirementing :)

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
If you do it yourself make sure you have a good squegy to get all the bubbles out..

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
it is a very tedious process, make sure u tuck the tint into the door panel undewr the weather stripping otherwise it will peel off right away

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had all my trucks done professionally.... seen to many amatuer jobs gone bad... I used to manage a speed shop,... we sold kits and i never saw 1 that was a decent job... a bud of mine did it part time and actually had decent success by removing the glass completely from the truck/car, and applying in a tub of water. (back in the late 80's)... found that most "self applied" tints turn a "purplish" tinge after 1 hot summer, and tend to look very amateur after that.... sorry to pee on your parade, i wish i had a good solution for you other than having it done professionally.... but the only good tint i have ever seen is a professional tint. I had the rear window of my Z-71 tinted 3 weeks ago (already tinted, wanted darker) and the 2 side windows @ 50% tint, was only $120.... I think it was money well spent.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for your replies.

It's not so much the money, as it is something I have always wanted to try myself. Although I have heard the same as you have all said.

I found a great website www.tintdude.com that has lots of tips for diy's. Seems that very acurrate precutting is the real key to a nice tint job. In photography school I took extensive matting a framing, and have done lots of it over the years, those meticulous techniques should come in handy here.

I will try it myself first, if I suck at it, I will strip it off and take it to Zeibart.
It's certainly work a try.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've done it to my car and helped on a couple other vehicles. First tip is it's a lot harder to do if the door has a frame around the window. My Mustang didn't, by brother's F-150 did. It isn't that bad if you take your time and are picky, but more than likely you won't have it perfect, especially the first time. Be sure to use a hair dryer for surved windows, and it helps if you can't get it to stick the first time. My tint is an Advanced Auto special, and hasn't discolored in the least, and only peeled in a couple spots. I'm still happy with it, but on my other car I'm probably gonna get it done professionally so it looks perfect, with a warrenty. Oh, yeah, it really helps to keep the interior warm and the sun out, but it can be a major pain at night, especailly in reverse. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]Thanks everybody for your replies.

I will try it myself first, if I suck at it, I will strip it off and take it to Zeibart.
It's certainly work a try.
Tried it last night...DID suck at it.....[V]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
my tint hasnt turned color yet, still black, ugly job of it tho. first tiem is always hard, i have a feeling that the next time i do it it will be 100 times better, just cuzi have a better idea of what is going on. if you are picky and meticulous it will look good, i have one near perfect window except for there is a crease in the tint that u cant see unless u inspect it and on the neon that doesnt have a frame around the window at the top, it started to peel off fromt he door closing and window rolling, otherwise it looks good. I DO think that it is a DIY, if u have the time and patience to do it. especially for me at least, i dont feel like spending the 100 bcusk to get the windows tinted, i spent 20 and got it done myself, if i had a car that i really liked and cared bout how it looked, i would get it professionally done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts