Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:(]I need some help on figuring out why my XC 500 seems to have a some sort of carb or ignition problem. It seems to be runnin' on one cylinder, soon as I open throttle, it seems to be okay, also having no power if i'm pulling my wooden sled. any suggestions, pointers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say you should clean out your carbs. Probably not getting the riht fuel/air ratio at low speeds.

·
Registered
363 Posts
first pull the plugs and read them, meaning what color they are. Then have the carbs synced and everything should be fine. to know if it really is running on one cylinder, pull one plug at a time and see if it doesn't drop RPM when ya pull a plug, that one isn't firing, it could be to much or not enough fuel for combusiton. Maby it is Idleing really low, less than 1 grand, what year is it? As far as jetting goes, thats what the stock off the production line is set to, depending on your area, also make sure that the fuel doesn't have water in it, and that your using 2 cycle oil for snowmobiles. and that your using the right plugs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 1999 model. I usually use BR9ES plugs. I use Polaris brand two cycle snowmobile oil. I took out the carbs, and in the process of cleaning them, think I found the problem. I'll also replace the o-rings on one side of the cylinder head, antifreeze was getting into the motor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still have the carbs in the garage, still needs to be cleaned, but I noticed when I was taking them apart, there was a small debris,I still need to go to my parts supplier, see if they have the o-rings for the cyclinder, in-stock. I think once I clean the carbs and replace the o-rings, it will run okay. I should finish the job by this evening. (I have to, there's a big fishing derby this weekend!)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Runnin' good now, though I busted one little bold on one of the floats, luckily, I kept old carbs in the shed. There was a small piece of moss that got in the main-jet.[:)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts