Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon taking my zrt 800 engine apart i removed the balancer and dont have a clue as to what the timing is for it. i imagine it is quite important. I was wondering if any one knew the correct timing for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have heard of some people leaving those out ,And if you live close by a dealer ,they should be able to tell you and give you a diagram

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you look at the sides of the gears you'll see a dot on each one.When you put the shafts in make sure the dots line up to each other exactly. dot on counter balance at 3 o'clock towards crankshaft and crankshaft 9 o'clock towards counter balance. When they're in the right place as gears mesh together dots should line up perfectly. If they're offset engine will vibrate like crazy and possibly cause damage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mine isn't timed threw it in there when i built motor asked dealer he said it didnt matter. some ppl leave it out mostly for drag racing i don't think the motor would last as long without it and the water pump runs offa it. i was thinkin about trien to run water pump offa oiler shaft would be sweet

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
mine isn't timed threw it in there when i built motor
I'll have to put a reminder to myself to never buy anything from you.

What is it with people cutting corners? If the timing marks weren't suppose to be aligned why would they have put them on the crank and balancer shaft? Why would they have put it in the manual?

Do what you want, but not having the marks lined up is going to cause an increase in wear and a decrease in engine life. Maybe it's going to take the engine destroying itself while your in the middle of nowhere to get you to realize that perhaps you should have done it right the first time.[B)]

Also, I don't believe you should be giving someone advice that goes against what Arctic Cat (I'm sure AC would go against what your "dealer" said) recommends, and the manual recommends.

·
Registered
26 Posts
they prolly would say that the mark's are supposed to lign up and i'm sure they were put there for that reason. when i put the motor together i wasnt thinking of aligning it. i thought about it after the fact when i happened to look at the smashed pieces on the floor so i asked the arctic cat dealer who prolly just wana sell me more parts. i didnt tell him he shouldnt i just stated i really don't think you have to since the way the weight's are cut ajasent to the crank they really don't lighn up tru anyway for the harmonic balance it should provide. i think it's put there more for resistance against the crank to keep it from cavatating more than anything just my 2 cents though what do i know. ..Rick..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts