Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new to snowmobiles, but have always been intrested in it. last week i bought a 1986 polaris 440ss for chaep. it was a great deal. the first couple days it started right up everytime and ran great. now i cant get it to start at all. any ideas on what i should or shouldnt be doing??? thanks let me know...

·
Registered
632 Posts
first is to make sure the kill switch, key, and fuel are all ON. I know that sounds like an insult, but you would be surprised how many ppl miss one of those.
Check the plugs to see if they are soaked with fuel, if they are its flooding, if bone dry, its not getting fuel. Also if you are using the choke, try 3-4 pulls at full choke, then 3-4 with no choke. That works on my sled anyway.
Another thing to check is if the fuel line in the tank has come off, you should be able to shine a light in the front of the tank and see the fitting and if the line is on or not. check the line on the carb to make sure fuel pump is funtioniong.
Could also try new plugs and check for spark. You may have a TSS thats not working too(Throttle Safety Switch)
Could try and pour a small amount(cap full) of fuel down the cylinders and see if it fires, do this after you try everything else though.
It could be many things, but these are some you can check yourself, or have a buddy help. I'm sure there are other things to try and the guys on here will throw em all at ya. Good Luck and let us know what ya find out, and Welcome to SF!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
trailjunkie said:
first is to make sure the kill switch, key, and fuel are all ON. I know that sounds like an insult, but you would be surprised how many ppl miss one of those.
Check the plugs to see if they are soaked with fuel, if they are its flooding, if bone dry, its not getting fuel. Also if you are using the choke, try 3-4 pulls at full choke, then 3-4 with no choke. That works on my sled anyway.
Another thing to check is if the fuel line in the tank has come off, you should be able to shine a light in the front of the tank and see the fitting and if the line is on or not. check the line on the carb to make sure fuel pump is funtioniong.
Could also try new plugs and check for spark. You may have a TSS thats not working too(Throttle Safety Switch)
Could try and pour a small amount(cap full) of fuel down the cylinders and see if it fires, do this after you try everything else though.
It could be many things, but these are some you can check yourself, or have a buddy help. I'm sure there are other things to try and the guys on here will throw em all at ya. Good Luck and let us know what ya find out, and Welcome to SF!
pretty much sums it up. id say if you do all of that and you dont gave gas getting to the plugs, id check the crank case hose to the fuel pump. those usualy crack on themolder seds and you wont have enuf vaccume to the fuel pump to pump the gas. and if thats good it could be a gasket in the fuel pump. have had both fail on me before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts