Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Yamaha sx700 that is not getting spark in any of the three cylinders. Was running fine a week before I parked it, then I went to go start it Thursday night and now it won't at all. New plugs, bottom end has been rebuilt, clutches have been redone, carbs gone through, new track, rebuilt suspension, yada yada. 4xxx miles on the sled, clean as a whistle.Was kept in the up most of it's life as far as I know. Just bought in December and had no problems until new years eve when it was stubborn as h*** to start. Backfired once, then started right up. Then bogged out and wouldn't start for two hours. After that no problems until now. Heard the stator is a possibility, but looking for other possible answers. Plan on doing a radar run in the next week or so. Any help would be phenominal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
stator, rusted flywheel, rodents snacking on wiring, just to name a few.

you can test the stator with a good digital multimeter, i have the numbers somewhere. you can see the flywheel behind the recoil if you hold your head just right and have a small pen flashlight. from there its continuity tests on the kill and key switches along with the carb and throttle switches. all easily done.

you dont happen to have a safety tether installed do you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any signs of rodents getting in there...had a couple sleds before where that happened...little buggers. I don't think the flywheel has any rust, the inside of the motor is really clean. No I don't have a tether, I think it used to have electric start, by there's no starter or batter in there. Do you think you could send me the numbers and where to test at? I have a tester, but I don't know how good it is considering I've never used it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you need to be at or near 68 degrees F for testing purposes. unplug the main harness plug at the stator. its just behind the recoil tucked next to the engine and under a rubber cap affair.

using the plugs on the stator side heres what your looking for:
white wire w/red strip to white wire w/ green stripe=210 ohms
brown wire to black wire w/red stripe=435 ohms
brown wire w/red stripe to black wire= 86 ohms.

your checking at the plug. find the corresponding wires and touch your meter probes to the tabs inside the plug. see what you get for numbers. you have a 10% +/- room for error. in other words, for the 210 spec, you could be up or down by 21 ohms and meet spec.

report back with your readings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the stator. Pickup coil was broken. Installed a new one and now running like a top. Looked like it got hit with something before when the motor was overhauled. Must have broke when I hit a good drift and stayed somewhat connected then contracted when I parked it which left no contact.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts