Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 XCR 600 and it keeps blowing coolant out the top of the overflow bottel. It doesnt seem to run hot and the temp light doesnt come on. The temp is 30 degres out. I plan on putting a new radiater cap on tommorow but im looking for any other ideas. I went for about a 2 mile ride tonight and I checked and the coolant level was rising close to the top of the over flow bottel. I felt the heat exangers and they are getting warm so it seems to be sirculating. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Radiator cap is a good place to start. Also make sure you have the coolant levl no higher than the Full/cold mark on the tank. Have you done any service to the cooling system since the problem started happening??? If so you probably have an air block in the heat exchangers....... TO get those out idle the sled for aroun 5-10 minutes with the radiator cap off or cracked so air can escape...,,It's kinda odd that you get overflowing coolant without the overheating light going off....Hopefully the light and sensor are working!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
You probably have an air lock . Another thing that can cause that is a head gasket leak . To find out you will need to preasure
test the cooling system .Are you loosing coolant that would be a sure sign.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Check your heads. If one of the o rings is bad you compression will go to your coolant

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i tried a new cap and no luck. I pulled the head off and i didnt see any sign of leakage threw the gasket. The gasket was in good shape. It doesnt seem to be loosing any coolant and I havnt had it apart so i doubt its air bound.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Have had the same problem with the same sled. Checked and changed everything with no avail. Water pump, belt, coolant cap, coolant bottle, hoses, head & base gaskets. I checked her warm with a pressure tester, no leaks at all. I can't figure this one at all. If you figure it out, please post the remedy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
TRICK!! fill your cooling system from the cap, tip the sled to the side making the filler cap the highest point in the system. Also try squeezing the hose the purg any air that may be in the system. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
85 Posts
try runnig it till it's warmed up, not too hot, then purge the air out throught the release valve, gently , do this a couple of times, is there air or brown look in the coolant when it comes out or when this happens? mine ended up being a blown head gasket but, it was blowing it out hard, a few spurts out here and there isn't uncommon on these sleds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same problem on a 96 xcr 600 sp. Did you ever find out the cure? Mine dosn't seem to overheat, but looses coolant from over flow. Is my overflow hose suppose to go to an overflow tank or just dangle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts