Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed every once in a while a bolt would go missing that holds me recoil on, thought nothing of it.. put new ones in with lock tite as I noticed it. then I seen my recoil was cracked..
so I put a different recoil on, I put anti sieze on the bolts, figuring it would dampin the vibration or what ever is making the bolts work there way out...

well within 2 miles of my ride my temp light comes on.. wtf? I open my hood and EVERY bolt that holds my recoil on fell out and my water pump belt broke!

also my primary spring broke, would that case a vibe threw the engine that could do this?

any ideas why the bolts are working there way out?

· Registered
347 Posts
crdude said:
Recently I noticed every once in a while a bolt would go missing that holds me recoil on, thought nothing of it.. put new ones in with lock tite as I noticed it. then I seen my recoil was cracked..
so I put a different recoil on, I put anti sieze on the bolts, figuring it would dampin the vibration or what ever is making the bolts work there way out...

well within 2 miles of my ride my temp light comes on.. wtf? I open my hood and EVERY bolt that holds my recoil on fell out and my water pump belt broke!

also my primary spring broke, would that case a vibe threw the engine that could do this?

Well not really sure but anti-sieze on those bolts,is going to make them prone to loosening with vibration..try a lock washer on each bolt and loc-tite..sounds like maybe the vibration by something is causing loosening and breakage..how is your crank bearings-bye?[sick]

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Serious vibration..

Check for bent crank? Could be either end.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
From my experiences with broken motor mounts and ripped torque stops your more appt to blow belts first. IMO out of balance clutch or like POO KID stated crank on it's way out.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
crdude said:

You have a real possibility of a crank going out on yah, better hope for warm weather there crdude, time to mount up on 2 wheels so we can hear more stories!!!

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced both front mounts when I built the sled and the rears looked good, this was about 500 miles ago.

The engine must have about 10k miles on it on the original bottem and top end, crank is possible? the primary spring probley had 4k miles on it, seeing as I replaced the whole clutch back when the engine was in my 98.
how can you tell when a crank bearings going out? it still runs great and no unusual sounds coming from the engine.

as far as warm weather.. its 40+f outside and I sold my rm250... rode my sks today but Im trying to sell it to get a summer ride..

This is sad... never had a decint snow storm all year up here in AK.

· Registered
3,504 Posts
happened only once on my 98xc6,all the bolts loosened,but i caught it b4 any damage. Red locktite,and lock washers,and no problems. That was 7 yrs ago

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Iron dog is starting tomorrow, I havnt missed watching the start of the race in 7 years and the engine isnt broke in on the sks yet.. the people I ride with are rather fast on the trail and I dont want to be holdin the sks WOT untell its broke in.. so, Im going to pop my clutch off the rmk today and put my old spring on (squar almond, saved it when I put my round almond spring on) and lock tite the recoil bolt, Ill let it cure over night and see if it holds.

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got a new set of 10-62 weights, rollers and pins.. gona replace anything I can think of on the clutch that looks worn, just waiting on my uncle to get to the shop with my clutch puller. I hate loaning tools out..

also two of the bolts didnt work there way out, they broke off in the case for my recoil... great..

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up putting a almond red spring on, sled enguages around 4200 rpms now..
my buddy that parted my sled out and hooked me up with the chassi gave me the secondary he took off, its running some SLP helix and a yellow spring, it pulls pretty hard.

my recoil bolts no longer fall off!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.