Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was surfing aroun looking for info on Nikasil and I found a couple of sites that said when you add extra oil to the fuel you are effectively leaning the carb jetting. This can make the engine run hotter and possibly seize.

I always thought you wanted to run like a 100:1 premix (along with the stadard injection) for breaking in new rings or an engine. [xx(]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
well 99% of all carbed sleds are over jetted anyways, what they are sayin is true that it is leaning the mixture down, but with the extra lube in there the mixture will not burn as well as it could, or at least in my opinion. So if it doesnt burn as well you will not get the extra heat. I personally run a tank of premix at 50:1 along with the oil injection for the first tank of every season.

·
Registered
777 Posts
the theory behind that is.normally your fuel is not premixed,so you have Said amount of fuel to air.
but if you premix,
for the same amount, of premix you will have less fuel ,more oil, which will actually give a lean condition.never found it to be a problem,but thats what there talking about,

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
High Sierra - When us flatlanders go out west to the Big Horn Mountains, we've always put a little bit of oil in our first couple of tanks of gas just to make sure we are not jetted to lean. We should stop doing this as it could just add to the problem and the engines run pretty hot in that altitude anyway. Thanks for sharing!! A melt down sure would ruin a trip that I look forward to all year long!!!!!!![^]

·
Registered
777 Posts
gmann
when flatlander go to higher elevations,you have to jet down,i wasn,t sure if you had already jetted down from your post.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah Xc SPECIAL - We jet down and put oil in our first tanks. We stop every 15 or 20 minutes for the first couple of hours and pull our plugs to make sure that they are not burning too lean/hot(too white.) We also put in new weights, change our e-clips and put on short track paddle tracks. Some of us have rail extension kits so we can put on extended paddle tracks. Some of the guys change gears as well. It is worthless to take a short track to the powder. That why haydays is such a great thing - you can find everything there!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts