Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont really know what sled i want all i know is i want a polaris. preferably a 440, i was thinkn maybe a pro-x or an xcf, but i really dont know what the top end is on those i know i want somethn that will do about 90, and is good on trails. any info will be appreciated

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
well unless you have a pretty good hook up it might be hard to get your hands on a pro x 440 liquid, the fan you can order so anyone can get one. I would go with the fan i cant remember what the hp is on the 2003 but it is supose to be a huge improvment from the 2002. I heard this from a very reliable source.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
you don;t want a Pro X 440 liquid it isn't oil injection. You have to mix your own gas. Not great for trail riding. Besides I doubt he wants the race suspension. He is looking for a good entry level sled. A Liquid 500 might be good. Say a XC 500 SP. Though it isn;t the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by confusedguy:

i dont really know what sled i want all i know is i want a polaris. preferably a 440, i was thinkn maybe a pro-x or an xcf, but i really dont know what the top end is on those i know i want somethn that will do about 90, and is good on trails. any info will be appreciated

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shites, i ment to say i was interested in a fan cooled, actually i have a 95 supersport, but its not fast enough for me, its my 1st year and ive only been on one trip were i gained 150 miles worth of experience, and i can already tell 65mph is too slow to keep up on lakes and open straits, other wise my sled would be fine. i heard the xcf and prox fan can do 90+ i dont know if its true and i was thinkn about a 500xc but im a big fan of 440's i wouldnt even mind a 96 xcr440 sp if i could find one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are a big fan of the 440's concider this, the motor in the 500 XC's was derived from the 440. The bottom end is the same but it has bigger cylinders up top.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey i just found a dealer with 2 pro-x 440 fans for $4499 does that sound good or should i wait a little longer? they also have 1 pro-x liquid but its 2 grand more. was someone saying you have to mix your own gas on all pro-x or is it just liquid?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I do believe that the fans are oil injected, cause they sell them as trail sleds. I could be wrong though.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
the fans are oil injected. No mixing. Sorry I should have made that distinction. The Pro X liquid you have to mix fuel. Personally I don't carry a gas can on the back of my sled so... I guess you could mix in your tank on the go but I just don;t like that idea.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
yeah the liquid pro x only has a 5 gallon gas tank on it. I had a friend (dustin Wahl) who had an xcf it was worked on a lil bit but it would go about 85 or so. It was really snapy to.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
also 6,500 sound pretty cheap for a pro-x liquid, at the begining of the year they were listed as 7,899

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Friend, take some advice from a fellow speed freak.... Go BIG! Even if you could get a little 440 to top out at 90. it would take too long to get there. If you have extra power you just dont sqeeze it too hard. If you buy even a 500 this year, sounds like you wont like it for lomg anyways. Also if you want to spend some lengthy time up around the C-note (lake riding) then you are really working the smaller sleds. I got the XCR 800 and I can go 90+mph as long as I wish without feeling like im beating the poor thing to death. If your a true speed freak go BIG.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yeah Believe me you always want bigger :). My four wheeler pisses me off cause it tops at around 45. We sold an old Kawasaki that we had to a guy for his son and we were playing on the XCR 600 while he was picking it up. The kid was like this is all I will ever need I won't need anything that big. He was like 7 I think it was kind of cute cause I remember when I used to ride that thing and do like 15MPH all the time. Now I ride a sled and crack it w.o.t. whenever I get a chance ;) Well whenever it is safe anyway. I may be young but I ain't stupid.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i knwo u want a polaris, but ever consider the other brands? if u want speed, i would defiantly go big.

Why isnt the pro x liqiud oil injected? thats weird...

Ready to Ride...NEED SNOW!!!!!!...if you have snow, i hate you...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
it is a race sled not meant to be sold to the general public. Not often a Sno Cross track is so big you can't get back for some gas :)
Besides it is less weight. One less tank you have to have on the sled. The Firecat and SnoPro have the Oil tank incorporated into the Gas tank to save weight.

Edited by - Sled_Dog on February 17 2002 9:16:11 PM

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah big would be nice.. my cousin keeps telling me to get at least a 600 because i wont be happy otherwise, but i just want somethn that will do 90 or more, and doesnt weigh a ton. i dont know how much the bigger sleds weigh i dont imagine it is a lot more. i just know a lot of people that are verrry happy with the pro-x they all say it can take as much as you can dish it and it still runs like gold. i will have to give it some more thought, well until tuesday, thats when i want to go look at the dealer i found the deal at. hes got xc700 for 4399 too. but i dont know if i want that big. thanks all for the info i am learning a lot

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
bigger twins don't weigh much more. when you get Triples they weigh more. Yes even the viper which weighs plenty mroe than than Yamaha claims.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts