Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my sled. In the middle of putting a new motor in it right now. It's a 1998 Arctic Cat Snow Pro. It has the liquid cooled motor in it. I Degreased the front out last night and washed it up. what do you guys know about these?

/snofan/../images/users/px/no motor hood closed.jpg

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I want to see a picture of under the hood... if there is a 900 in there :) You need to add a SLEEPER sticker on the side. Nice lookin cat..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Haven't seen anyone do a 440 to 900 swap before let us know how it goes. Should go like hell when your done. Lightweight chassis may flex with the big trip in it. You may want to add some stiffeners.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the motor is going in there in the next week or 2. I pick it up this weekend. I'm sure there will be a little modifications here and there... putting a Arctic 9 tower clutch on it... a couple other things. I have a buddy that's going to bend the pipes for me. Here is a pic under the hood right now.. as you can see.. a hampster in a wheel would be more power than this... [;)]

/snofan/../images/users/px/no motor under hood.jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the only other pic I took yesterday.. I"ll post more as I progress...

/snofan/../images/users/px/no motor hood up.jpg

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
cant wait to see it stuffed full of that 900... VERY CLEAN lookin sled right now...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy I'm getting this motor from just finished up on a snow pro.. same exact one.. only difference is he made it for lake racing. Everyone is anxious to see it run. Will probably have to head north to Traverse City for the first couple runs this Winter.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
At least you'll be on the other side of the Lake Michigan so i wont have to worry about lining up with you :), i pity the person who accepts a race with you. Good Luck with the project.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i got a 98 or 99 snopro motor sitting in my basement with bad pistons and crank bearings. Interested in any of it? My buddy also has the rolling chassis to go along with it!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
u putting a 900 in that? that is one clean looking sled, loos like it just came out of the crate...wish mine looked that clean, but with the engine out it really wouldnt be that hard to clean all the grease and crap from under the hood...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Nice looking sled and your project sounds like fun, but what is that on your seat? It looks like it makes it shorter...Is that it's purpose?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for the great comments on the sled! Bigwilly, yes.. that is a strap on cushion that brings the back of the seat up a little closer. I tell ya what guys.. this sled was amazing when the 440 was in it. I'm really lookin forward to getting this 900 put in. This 900 has been built up pretty much as high as possible. The guy I'm getting it from won't say exactly.. but he claims it is a little more like a 1000cc.. but like I said.. he doesn't want to be quoted right yet. Which is fine by me. Going to have to get the pipes bent after we get the motor in. I'll be more than hapy to post the pics as I go along. I know I always like to see pics posted here of all your awsome sleds! And all your cool as heck summer projects! ;)

PX

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Make sure to post pics as it is coming along. To "bend" the pipes do you mean cutting them and rewelding them like they did on Monster Garage where they turned a Mini Cooper into a sled? Or are you going to just bend them?

I forgot to say this the first time I posted, but welcome to TUSF. This is a great place to talk and learn about sleds.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh definately will be posting the pics... as far as the pipes.. the guy I am getting the motor from is going to take care of that... Thanks for the warm welcome..

Here's to an Early Snow!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
sharp sled,thats going to be fast!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope for your sake that the guy doing your pipes knows what he is doing. If he has been building 2-stroke motors for some time I would assume he knows what he is doing. Pipes for 2-strokes are somewhat of a "black-art" to build and or modify. Once you have a set, they should be left alone. Aftermarket pipes and factory pipes are made for peak performance. To build your own or modifying an existing set could actually hamper that performance engine your putting in there. But hopefully you will be ok. Nice sled there. If it were mine I would plaster it with 440 stickers after that 900 gets transplanted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
thats what i would do...have "440" in big numbers on the side so evry one thinks its a normall 440 but when they go to race you they will be in total shock!

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
That's a really nice clean lookin cat you got there, I can't wait to see pics of it with the 900 too.

Welcome to the forum too

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
NICE Cat PX, those were and are real sno-cross contenders.
Just a question... did cat ever put a 900 in that chassis?
Sounds like you are going to strengthen things up anyway, she'll go like a raped Ape.
Reminds me of a guy I know that dropped a 454 into a Vega without boxing in or strengthening the frame at all.
After one night of ripping up and down the main drag here in Regina, he had to crawl out the window, the frame twisted so bad the doors wouldn't open....LOLOLOL.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts