Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to convince my dad to let me get a new sled...his excuse is o theres never any snow and u only use them 3 mths out of the year...but he doesnt understand that i am really into snowmobiling and i seriously ride everyday come home from skool jump on the cat and go...we have a 2001 honda rancher 350es 4x4 and the only time it leave are yard is deer hunting we only have 156 miles on it and i put on twice that even more than that on my snowmobile in 3mths....my dad is wasting about $100 a mth on the 4 wheeler that we use less than a snowmobile...how can i convince my dad to let me sell mine and get a new sled

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
837 Posts
you need to find a good deal and tell him how good the deal is and do research, and check nada and kelly blue book, and show him that is a low retail price, but you need to do the research and find the good sled

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have done that...i found a 2000 zr440 sno pro fan just exaclty what i wantwith pipe c&a ski's clutch kit canister and some other accessories for only 2800 only has 956 miles on it...never raced driven by and 47 yr old man...its one of my freinds dads who is selling it

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Did someone leave the fridge open in here??.... cause something smells like it has spoiled.

Here's a thought, stay in school, go to college, get a good job, then go spend as much as you want on a sled, cause you will deserve it.

Sorry b1scu1t14, I could not resist when I saw your subject name.

I do feel your pain though man, when I was your age my Dad had 4 really old sleds and I was allowed to ride only one, a 1969 Ski-Doo olympic, the rest of the sleds got riden only in hunting season.

He used to ride all the time when I was a baby, even took us kids out a few times, but by the time I was 14 and old enough to ride one myself, he had spent more time fixing his old sleds than riding them and lost his passion for them.

When I bought my own sled a few years ago, he saw how well built the new ones are, and how much fun, so he went and got one for himself and he's loving it. He is even more gung-ho than I am.

I would have loved to go ride'n with my Dad when I was a teenager like we do now, and I am so grateful that we have gotten to be such good friends, and have fun riding together.

I guess my piont is that snowmobiling is something that fathers and sons can enjoy doing together, so if you and your father don't already, go out riding together and enjoy those times, it is a great chance for you to get to know him as a man, and not just as your father, cause as 9-11 taught all of us, all life is fragile and fleating, so cherish every moment of it.

It's not what you ride, just that you ride.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My question is whose buying it? You or your father?

When I was a teenager, i asked my parents if they would buy the family a snowmobile. Of course the answer was "NO!". So what did i do?? I worked my arse off on the farm for a measly $5 an hour and saved every penny until i finally could buy my own snowmobile....'89 Indy 500, for $900. I was so proud to drive it and call it my own. I bought that thing when i was only 14, even before i bought my first car.

As the saying goes: "If you want something done, you've got to do it yourself." Work hard, save money, and buy any sled you want.

I agree with 500fasEnuf, my goal right now is to finish college and obtain my career, so i can go and buy all these sports cars i've always wanted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I totally agree with fastenuf, sledding definitely can keep a family together.
It certainly is doing that for our entire family.
My now almost 15 year old son has been riding with me since he was 1 year old. When he turned 7 he had his own 79 A.C. Jag 440 that he could ride on the farm only, but he spent endless hours driving it on a course we set up.
I put a hose clamp under the throttle to act as an adjustable speed governor.
He quickly learned that he needed to ride responsibly or else he would loose the privilege.
When he turned 12 and got his Ontario Snowmobile Operators License, I felt that he had outgrown the "Old Cat" We then got him a '96 Skidoo Formula SLS 500 L.C. We are about to enter his 4th year of riding on the trails.
I know this is part of what has kept us this close together.
He's been working with our local snowmobile club opening, maintaining and closing the trails since he was 7 years old. He would much rather do that then hang out with some less desirable kids and getting into trouble.
In Ontario, high school students must volunteer in the community for a minimum of 40 hours (during the 4 years) before they can receive their high school diploma. He got 50 hours during his first year at school just by working on the trails.

Maybe you can show your Dad that if you do similar things and make the effort to spend more time with him riding together, that he'll re-consider.
I'm sure your local snowmobile club would appreciate the help in providing their trails. ( YOU DO KNOW THAT THE MAGIC TRAIL BUILDING FAIRIES DON'T REALLY EXIST, RIGHT?)
I hope this helps. Keep us posted on what your doing and what his decision ends up being.
GOOD LUCK!
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

·
Registered
277 Posts
Drag him to a POLARIS dealer and show him the sign that says: '$99.00 a month at 9.9% apr for the life of the loan'. On almost every model. Heck for $99.00 a month I can afford one. If my wife would let me buy one! Dam!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
That sounds great Trailblazer...the family that sleds together, stays together, is my motto as well.
My oldest son Brock is 9, and has more interest in Gameboys and nature books than sleds, but I also enjoy a little nintendo, so we play Snowcross and Star Wars together.
Brock is starting to enjoy sleds a little more now, and he is looking forward to riding along in the toboggan we built. I think that the kids will enjoy it a lot more when they have more room and they are out of the elements
Here is a link to some pics of it. http://www.digitalportraitstudios.com/sled/toboggan
My younger son Adam is 5, and loves skateborads, bikes and especially snowmobiles. When the time comes he will get to ride an '81 Trailcat 440 with independant up front, very stable little sled. I am looking forward to the days when my boys can ride and fix their own machines, and we will go on long tours thoughout Saskatchewan, it will be great.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
APR does stand for Above Prime Rate which adds up to 16.5% interest,
and at $99.00 per month the loan will last a longer than the sled will.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the sled i have now i worked my "arse" off and bought myself...it was the sled i wanted at the time but it was the only thing in my price range...next year he said he will match w/e i have so ive started saving already

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Good luck B1,
That sounds like a fair deal.
More power to ya....more power than a 580 EXT anyways.
K

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just a note. APR stands for 'annual percentage rate'. Its 9.9% interest on the loan for every year that the loan is outstanding. You drive the sled for 2 to 3 years and sell it. Its still going to be worth more that what you owe. The sled is not going to drop $2400 to $3600 over 2 to 3 years. If you can pay for a sled in cash and not have a loan. Super. But if you want a brand new sled, some folks just dont have $6000 to $8000 laying around. Buying a used sled is great, as long as you can inspect the sled top to bottom, ask to drive it or at least jack it up and rev the sucker up. I know alot of guys who bought a clean looking sled only to find out down the trial the thing was beat to a pulp or worse. I'm not a millonaire, but if I want something, I'm going to buy it now. Not when I'm in my 50's or 60's. You only live once and you can be dead tommorrow. So enjoy every day like its your last.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. /snofan/../images/users/SledHead/thumbs-up.jpg

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
do u have a sled now? or lookin into buying one? cuz it took me bout 3 years to convince my dad to get a sled, and i finally got enough money saved and kept tellin him i wanna buy a sled, so he gave in and took me to the dealers so ic ould look around and buy one, now he realizes that i love this sport, and he controls me a lil, by not lettin me spend money on a sled every year.....lol.....but if i can give him reasons to trade, he'll let me, i'll i had to tell him when i traded last year was "my EXT is ancient, its almost 10 years old, i cant keep it forever so i wont get nothin for it when i trade it in"......

neway.....my theory on loans, "never borrow money for something that depreciates in value".....IMO.....i think if u cant afford ur new toy, u dont get the new toy, u get the best u can for what money u have.....IMO

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i cant stand cruising around on my ext she has no nuts...im putting a canister on it and maybe a clutch kit...bahhh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts