Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my conversion. These new kits really are simply plug and play. I went with 4300K bi-xenon (hi/lo) bulbs. They are whiter than OEM halogens but with a slight hint of blue at certian angles. Plus they run cooler than stock halogens and free up 40 or so watts from the stator. I can't wait to see how this looks on the snow at night. I wish that the camera could capture the intensity better.

20109619525832_10767.jpg

201096195259282_10767.jpg

·
Registered
463 Posts
the HID lights work GREAT in snowy conditions! i rode a buddies sled with them, but he only had the hid's come on as low beams when you switched to the high beams it was regular halogen bulbs. the transition between the 2 SUCKED! when the halogen bulbs came on it felt like someone threw mud in you eyes, it was soo hard to see after the hid's were on!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yep I had HID's on my dragon before I switched to an after market hood. Here's a comparison.

·
Registered
318 Posts
did your dragon have a battery?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sorry to "hijack" the thread, but do they make hid kits for The old polaris wedges? 97 ultra motor would be running it. I dont mind if i have to add a small battery
Where can i get one?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
How much that kit cost?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The conversion kits are all based on the bulb type that you have in your stock setup. My sled has (2) H4 type bulbs. These are dual filament Hi/lo halogen type bulbs.

When you go shopping for a kit, all you have to let them know the bulb type that you have (H4, H3, 9003, 9007 etc) the color temp of the HID bulbs that you would like in your kit, and whether or not you would like a hi/lo (bixenon) setup. I bought 4300K bulbs. They are supposed to be best for snow. 6000k is what you see on bimmers and the like. That color temp is slightly more blue but I'm told is creates a bit of unwanted glare in vlowing snow conditions.

Some of you know that the hi/lo type bi-xenon bulbs produce a highbeam by employing a small spring loaded electro magnet in the base of the bulb. When you flick your brights on the the electromaget pulls the bulb about 3/8" back into the base effectively aiming your beam pattern higher.

This is the type of kit I bought. It comes with 2 bi-xenon bulbs, the hi/lo relay controller, 2 ballasts and mounting gear. There are literally thousands of these kits for sale on Ebay, 95% of them come from China. I got the idea to try them out when I read about them on TY4Stroke. A guy on that site is marketing a kit that he puts his name on. That kit is about $240. I decided to go for an ebay kit and take a chance at a kit at a lower price. I paid $68.00 shipped. Really all the kits look alike, it just depends on how they are put together and the QA QC that the mfg does on them. The seller I used is Mototekc. Here is one of of his kits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-9003-Bi-Xenon-Hi-Lo-HID-Conversion-Kit-6000K-8000K-/150480466562?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230955b282

Here is how the typical bi-xenon kit is wired up:

201098121819157_10767.jpg

Here what the typical bi-xenon kit looks like. You can remove the chrome gaurds that protect the sliding bulb prior to installation. I did.

201098121825798_10767.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stormy96, it looks like your wedge will take an H4 bulb. In your situation you only have one bulb, you could buy a kit on ebay that has a single bulb and ballast setup. They make these for motorcycles. There would be a significant savings over buying a twin bulb setup. Conversely you still buy a twin bulb setup and have yourself a spare bulb and ballast in reserve.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i would like to figure a way to run them without a battery

·
Registered
848 Posts
shnill i am with you 100 %. Would an HID kit work if you bypassed the battery by splicing into somewhere else? I was looking around for kits a while ago but then i got really busy and couldn't find the time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
the problem is you need a solid 12v to run the hids -- you need some rectifiers and capacitors -- im gonna goto the electrical shop in town and see if i can get some answers

·
Registered
463 Posts
shnill said:
i would like to figure a way to run them without a battery
i'd think you could just wire a ac-dc rectifier into the hot wire that supplies your headlights, and on the hid kit connect the wire that would goto the battery (+) the the hot wire coming out of the rectifier? when you start the sled and the lights come on your new hid's would come on!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read this HCS thread before I bought my kit:

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t298585.html

it talks about running a HID conversion w/o a battery.

·
Registered
848 Posts
shnill said:
the problem is you need a solid 12v to run the hids -- you need some rectifiers and capacitors -- im gonna goto the electrical shop in town and see if i can get some answers
Awesome keep us updated! I'm really interested in doing this.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
shnill said:
did your dragon have a battery?
No battery, on the polaris CFI you can plug them in, mount the ballist and go.

TRICKPaint said:
As said above, will this kit work on older machines such as a '97 MXZ and what is the cost!?
As long as you order the right bulb, them yes they will FIT. It's not say that your stator will power them. On an older sled you might need to run a battery. We tried to run the same kit I had, on my buddies Edge, and it would power them. Tried a rectifier and still no go. Just not enough power coming from the stator to fire these things up.

shnill said:
On your sled it's a plug in and go setup. No need for a rectifier or a capacitor. A capacitor might be nice as I had a few issues where only one bulb would come on at first, a capacitor would take care of that, but it's not NEEDED. Plug in and go for you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wicked thanks!

·
Registered
848 Posts
600vx4me:On your sled it's a plug in and go setup. No need for a rectifier or a capacitor. A capacitor might be nice as I had a few issues where only one bulb would come on at first, a capacitor would take care of that, but it's not NEEDED. Plug in and go for you.

With the CFI where would you plug into to get power? So any HID kit would work as long as its for the right bulb, Have you had good luck with a certain company's product?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts