Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i did it! no battery needed -- lo/hi beam work amazing - its hard to get a good shot since the light is frickin BRIGHT! these are 8k lights btw
201092221441484_23278.jpg
201092221511484_23278.jpg
201092221539953_23278.jpg
20109222167984_23278.jpg
201092221635296_23278.jpg
201092221644281_23278.jpg
201092221651203_23278.jpg
201092221656265_23278.jpg
20109222172578_23278.jpg
20109222179359_23278.jpg
201092221714921_23278.jpg
201092221720390_23278.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i got them locally - but its just an H4 Bi xenon HID kit - with the relay harness
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Cool but all I can say is I hope I don't meet you on a trail coming toward me at night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Redneck13x said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Cool but all I can say is I hope I don't meet you on a trail coming toward me at night.
+1, that bright may cause other problems with on coming sleds.
To give him credit though it is a cool idea i just wonder how long the HID is gonna last with the constant cold to warm cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Cool but all I can say is I hope I don't meet you on a trail coming toward me at night.
i can aim it down with the dial -- so it wont be sooo intense - but stock lights are just so crappppy --

Dragon700 said:
In a simple way, how was it done? I was looking into doing that.
k well its ez -- i just used the little block that is used for the projector beam add on for my 12v DC source - there should be 2 yellow wires and 2 red wires going into a female block - all i did was just add a spade on my 12v B+ wire from my relay harness and put it into the RED female block - then after that its all plug and play -- one connector from the harness goes to your factory light receptacle, then the harness has 2 plugs for your 12v DC to your ballasts - i used a butt connector to take my 2 grounds (for each ballast ) into 1 wire - then ran it down to the metal wires that hold your hood on - and your done



ArcticCatZR800 said:
Redneck13x said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Cool but all I can say is I hope I don't meet you on a trail coming toward me at night.
+1, that bright may cause other problems with on coming sleds.
To give him credit though it is a cool idea i just wonder how long the HID is gonna last with the constant cold to warm cycle.
whats different about cars? i had them on my last truck - no trouble - HID are tough, i dont know why people think they are a finiky light source - they can take a beating just like a halogen light, probly even better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Well that would be good and the reason stock lights aren't so bright is because really bright lights can bounce off the snow and make it harder to see, take a picture with flash on when its snowing, most all you can see is the snow and nothing else, same concept with fog, you can see better with the low beams than the highs. If you have fog lights on your car flip then to bright and they go off, thats the reason for that.

shnill said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Cool but all I can say is I hope I don't meet you on a trail coming toward me at night.
i can aim it down with the dial -- so it wont be sooo intense - but stock lights are just so crappppy --

Dragon700 said:
In a simple way, how was it done? I was looking into doing that.
k well its ez -- i just used the little block that is used for the projector beam add on for my 12v DC source - there should be 2 yellow wires and 2 red wires going into a female block - all i did was just add a spade on my 12v B+ wire from my relay harness and put it into the RED female block - then after that its all plug and play -- one connector from the harness goes to your factory light receptacle, then the harness has 2 plugs for your 12v DC to your ballasts - i used a butt connector to take my 2 grounds (for each ballast ) into 1 wire - then ran it down to the metal wires that hold your hood on - and your done



ArcticCatZR800 said:
Redneck13x said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Cool but all I can say is I hope I don't meet you on a trail coming toward me at night.
+1, that bright may cause other problems with on coming sleds.
To give him credit though it is a cool idea i just wonder how long the HID is gonna last with the constant cold to warm cycle.
whats different about cars? i had them on my last truck - no trouble - HID are tough, i dont know why people think they are a finiky light source - they can take a beating just like a halogen light, probly even better
I've never personally had HID thats why i was asking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
danoxcr600 said:
shnill, what did your kit cost? if ya dont mind me askin
Well i used to get my kits from www.vvme.com

but i found this guy here in town -- and he hooks up the digital kits for 80$ CAD -- insane deals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
Hmmm...I may have to look into this. The light on my sled is really no better than a flashlight. I put a 80/100 watt bulb in and it helped, but I'm still not happy. It's pretty easy to over-run my light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,109 Posts
Hangman said:
Hmmm...I may have to look into this. The light on my sled is really no better than a flashlight. I put a 80/100 watt bulb in and it helped, but I'm still not happy. It's pretty easy to over-run my light.
If you have a single headlight, you may not get much more from the HID. From other posts I have seen in the past, the single headlights are very limited because of the reflector design. I'm currently using a 100/90 white/blue Xenon and it is much better than the standard halogen on the Polaris wedge sleds. Check out HCS as there is more info over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Well that would be good and the reason stock lights aren't so bright is because really bright lights can bounce off the snow and make it harder to see, take a picture with flash on when its snowing, most all you can see is the snow and nothing else, same concept with fog, you can see better with the low beams than the highs. If you have fog lights on your car flip then to bright and they go off, thats the reason for that.
Wrong sonny, the reasoning that the brights reflect off snow and fog is because brights are designed to flood the area with light while fog lights and dims are designed to be aimed in a more concentrated area as to not flood oncoming vehicles. The reflection has nothing to do with the brightness of the light just where the light is projected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Looks awesome! I bet its going to be a lot safer now that you can see a lot more, also you increase your visibility so people will see you better. See and be seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tnmemr said:
Hangman said:
Hmmm...I may have to look into this. The light on my sled is really no better than a flashlight. I put a 80/100 watt bulb in and it helped, but I'm still not happy. It's pretty easy to over-run my light.
If you have a single headlight, you may not get much more from the HID. From other posts I have seen in the past, the single headlights are very limited because of the reflector design. I'm currently using a 100/90 white/blue Xenon and it is much better than the standard halogen on the Polaris wedge sleds. Check out HCS as there is more info over there.
you would still get way more light from a single HID than any single halogen style lamp -- even the 100w ones -- there is just no comparison - all you have to do is look at the lumen values - in the 5k to 6k range you look at anywhere from 3100 to 3500 lumen - your most powerful halogen on the market is around 2100, and thats per bulb

Bames said:
Looks awesome! I bet its going to be a lot safer now that you can see a lot more, also you increase your visibility so people will see you better. See and be seen.

true DAT lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
is there anything i would need to put hid's in my xlt's besides and hid kit? im seriously thinking about getting a hi/low hid kit for both of my xlt's. i can do all the wiring, but i dont know if the hid's will have enough voltage on startup to get them to light up.

Edit:i could just get a switch to turn on the voltage to the ballast when the sled is running instead of on startup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
flatlander_summit said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Well that would be good and the reason stock lights aren't so bright is because really bright lights can bounce off the snow and make it harder to see, take a picture with flash on when its snowing, most all you can see is the snow and nothing else, same concept with fog, you can see better with the low beams than the highs. If you have fog lights on your car flip then to bright and they go off, thats the reason for that.
Wrong sonny, the reasoning that the brights reflect off snow and fog is because brights are designed to flood the area with light while fog lights and dims are designed to be aimed in a more concentrated area as to not flood oncoming vehicles. The reflection has nothing to do with the brightness of the light just where the light is projected.
What your saying is right but the brighter the light, the more reflecting back. Plus to see thru snow and fog, you want the lights mounted as low to the ground as possible so it won't light up the fog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
I wouldnt mind doing this, i need to replace my Hi/Lo switch yet this year. I have some bad connections so my lows dont always work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
flatlander_summit said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Well that would be good and the reason stock lights aren't so bright is because really bright lights can bounce off the snow and make it harder to see, take a picture with flash on when its snowing, most all you can see is the snow and nothing else, same concept with fog, you can see better with the low beams than the highs. If you have fog lights on your car flip then to bright and they go off, thats the reason for that.
Wrong sonny, the reasoning that the brights reflect off snow and fog is because brights are designed to flood the area with light while fog lights and dims are designed to be aimed in a more concentrated area as to not flood oncoming vehicles. The reflection has nothing to do with the brightness of the light just where the light is projected.
I'll just let you keep thinking that.
flatlander makes alot more sence on this. Besides your camera flash would be pretty much a flood light correct? So I would say flatlander has it covered..
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top