Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..so installed some hid's to sled...hooked main hot wires from hids to battery..sled has stock electric start .hid 's light up beautiful while battery is freshly tendered...but after running sled voltage of battery goes down to 9.6 volts..and hid's begin to flicker and shutoff???either the sleds charging system cant keep up to the draw of the hids....??or there is a problem with the charging system?how are guys running hid's with no battery?whats your opinion...by the way the battery is brand new..do i need a bigger one...or do i need to boost my charging somehow?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
is the sled just idling because then it may not charge fast enough...it does that with stock lights too

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the HID lights to see if the problem is with the lights or the charging system? You could also test the charging current with a multimeter to try to troubleshoot the problem. And like Fuse600 mentioned, is the engine just at idle or is it at a working speed? Just work through one thing at a time to see if the problem recreates itself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with no hid's on....battery doesn,t deplete....when hid;s are on in 5 minutes time the battery voltage drops to 10 volts..in my opinion the charging system cant keep up with the hids draw of current....im wondering if i need a larger battery..or a boost to the charging rate...hid's are not faulty as they are drawing thier proper amount of current....maybe at idle its just to low of a voltage,i guess i have to wait for snow to ride and test at higher revs..any other opinions?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
im thinking it is just gonna do that when it is idling

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
^^^^
Good idea!

Or are you able to test the voltage at the charging system on the engine before it gets to the battery? I'm thinking that the system is not producing 12V at idle speed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep tried that too!? with wire unplugged from battery,and sled running..charging voltage from brand new rectifier is 4.5 volts..im told from the dealer that this is correct,and when it is in parellel with battery it will supply the battery aprox 1volt to the 12 v batt at higher idle..and it does,im told that the charging system is a gradual charge,so that it doesn,t overcharge battery?guess that sounds right,kind of a trickle charge.....there is some people on here that have gotten hids to work with no battery..how the hell is that possible?still confused to sh#$!?????

slothman1 said:
yep tried that too!? with wire unplugged from battery,and sled running..charging voltage from brand new rectifier is 4.5 volts..im told from the dealer that this is correct,and when it is in parellel with battery it will supply the battery aprox 1volt to the 12 v batt at higher idle..and it does,im told that the charging system is a gradual charge,so that it doesn,t overcharge battery?guess that sounds right,kind of a trickle charge.....there is some people on here that have gotten hids to work with no battery..how the hell is that possible?still confused to sh#$!?????
OH YEAH WHEN THEY START TO FLICKER..REVVING IT HELPS A LITTLE BUT THEN SHORTLY THE VOLTAGE FALLS,AND THEY FLICKER AGAIN,AND FINNALLY GO OUT????

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
slothman1 said:

slothman1 said:
OH YEAH WHEN THEY START TO FLICKER..REVVING IT HELPS A LITTLE BUT THEN SHORTLY THE VOLTAGE FALLS,AND THEY FLICKER AGAIN,AND FINNALLY GO OUT????
That't your problem then. You will be fine because it's draining the battery down while you're idleing, when you start driving the HID's will run fine and your battery will charge up. There isn't much time when you're out for a ride that your sled is idleing (at least not for me).

Did you just do a quick rev?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
slothman1 said:

slothman1 said:
That't your problem then. You will be fine because it's draining the battery down while you're idleing, when you start driving the HID's will run fine and your battery will charge up. There isn't much time when you're out for a ride that your sled is idleing (at least not for me).

Did you just do a quick rev?
I had it on a stand..revving it checking voltages,i wish there was a way to boost the charging voltage a little...perhaps a larger amp/hour battery would help..maybe with more reserve..the better!?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I am not exactly sure how sleds work, like do they have an altenator? Because I have a feeling it's not the battery unless you have an incredibly small one on it. Probably whatever is putting out the voltage to the battery is not putting out enough, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
I am not exactly sure how sleds work, like do they have an altenator? Because I have a feeling it's not the battery unless you have an incredibly small one on it. Probably whatever is putting out the voltage to the battery is not putting out enough, but I could be wrong.
dunno?this ones got me stumped..hoping someone can help soon~?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
slothman1 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
dunno?this ones got me stumped..hoping someone can help soon~?
ANY OTHER OPINIONS...HAVING NO LUCK?

·
Registered
848 Posts
My sled does not have a battery and my HIDs work fine. In sleds, there is a stator located by the crankcase (internal). A stator is just like an alternator, in fact i think alternators actually have a stator in them. A stator is stationary, basically magnets rotate under the engines power, and there is a positive pole and negative that are stationary, by the rotating magnets passing by the poles it creates an influx in current, and that's where your electrical power comes from. Not the best description but you get the idea. When your sleds rpms lower, the rpms in the stator lower. So my system is about 12.5V DC all the time, and I have a stock capacitor. I don't think a capacitor would solve your issue though. Did you wire the HIDs to the battery? Does your sled idle low? Could you get away with running a slightly higher idle and have the HIDs stay on, or is there a big difference? You may be able to wire another small battery in parallel with your current one and that could get you by. If it takes like 5 min for the hids to cut out at idle, normal riding conditions may be fine... just turn your sled off if you are stopped for a while.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bames said:
My sled does not have a battery and my HIDs work fine. In sleds, there is a stator located by the crankcase (internal). A stator is just like an alternator, in fact i think alternators actually have a stator in them. A stator is stationary, basically magnets rotate under the engines power, and there is a positive pole and negative that are stationary, by the rotating magnets passing by the poles it creates an influx in current, and that's where your electrical power comes from. Not the best description but you get the idea. When your sleds rpms lower, the rpms in the stator lower. So my system is about 12.5V DC all the time, and I have a stock capacitor. I don't think a capacitor would solve your issue though. Did you wire the HIDs to the battery? Does your sled idle low? Could you get away with running a slightly higher idle and have the HIDs stay on, or is there a big difference? You may be able to wire another small battery in parallel with your current one and that could get you by. If it takes like 5 min for the hids to cut out at idle, normal riding conditions may be fine... just turn your sled off if you are stopped for a while.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.....CHARGED THE BATTERY FULL WITH TENDER....INSTALLED RAN SLED,AND IT IS CHARGING....PUT ON A STAND AND REVVED TIL ENGAGEMENT,AND ITS HOLDING AT 12 VOLTS..FOR 15 MINUTES....SO I GUESS THAT THE SCORE..NO LONG IDLES WITH LIGHTS ON....THX TO ALL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts