Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a hid lihgts be installed in a cat that has NO battery?? Has any one made it work if so did you do high or low beam?

·
Registered
848 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/117230/display.aspx

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yes it can, basically you just buy a kit with an electronic ballast and the bulb and it works great. You can get 'em for like $80.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Yes it can, basically you just buy a kit with an electronic ballast and the bulb and it works great. You can get 'em for like $80.
where do you get the kit?? do i change all 4 or just low/high??

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
brda33 said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
where do you get the kit?? do i change all 4 or just low/high??
You really can do all 4 but i would just go with a hi/lo kit. Here's where they seem to be the cheapest:
http://www.vvme.com/standard-h429003-hid-conversion-kit-p-50.html?cPath=44_53_47

·
Registered
232 Posts
The headlights on my F7 are the same as fog lights for a car, I just ordered my kit off ebay. ballasts and bulbs for like $50. And theres no wiring at all its all plugs in. Unless maybe you have a sled with some real different bulb and cant find an hid kit for it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chriseisenbraun9 said:
The headlights on my F7 are the same as fog lights for a car, I just ordered my kit off ebay. ballasts and bulbs for like $50. And theres no wiring at all its all plugs in. Unless maybe you have a sled with some real different bulb and cant find an hid kit for it
I have a 06 crossfire should be the same as a f7 i think??

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes, they would. Its the same thing. The good thing about headlight bulbs is that they usually keep the same style for a very long time. Like Polaris has used the H4 forever haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
having problems with my sons can"t stop flickering tried resisters and rectifier still flickers rectifier fried a bsllast. we"ve installed some on my other sons sled xcsp Bi-XENON his sled has a battery it works great. the other sled is an arctic cat,no battery. had to put 2 kits in this one. it works w/3 bulbs 1 for low & 2 for high.1 kit is a motorcycle kit,can't stop the flickering. would a relay or canceller help?????

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
19Mike59 said:
having problems with my sons can"t stop flickering tried resisters and rectifier still flickers rectifier fried a bsllast. we"ve installed some on my other sons sled xcsp Bi-XENON his sled has a battery it works great. the other sled is an arctic cat,no battery. had to put 2 kits in this one. it works w/3 bulbs 1 for low & 2 for high.1 kit is a motorcycle kit,can't stop the flickering. would a relay or canceller help?????
That's weird, it should work fine....maybe the HID isn't getting enough power to properly light it??? If that is the case your probably gonna have to wire a battery into the system.Someone that knows more about them is gonna have to comment though, i'm at a loss as to what it is.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
19Mike59 said:
im getting 12 1/2 volts steady, is that enough?
Usually anywhere from 8-16 volts is enough for the electronic type ballasts to work but the lights run on the amps. It takes 12 amps for some to light up, 6 for others and they stay running at 3.5 amps. Test your amperage and post your results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this kit should work be the same as yours 800 series bulbs. did you use two kits 1 for high & 1 for low, and how does it work switching beams?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If your asking me, my 800 doesn't have HIDs. I just know from other installs what should work or not. HIDs in mine would be nice though....if only i had some money[thumb] If i was you, i would check everything over real good, make sure you hooked the rectifier up right(negative hooked to ground, ac not switched with dc ports...ect). If none of that works the only thing i can think of is faulty ballasts, faulty rectifier or the amps are too low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
19Mike59 said:
im getting 12 1/2 volts steady, is that enough?
Usually anywhere from 8-16 volts is enough for the electronic type ballasts to work but the lights run on the amps. It takes 12 amps for some to light up, 6 for others and they stay running at 3.5 amps. Test your amperage and post your results.
this kit should work be the same as yours 800 series bulbs. did you use two kits 1 for high & 1 for low, and how does it work switching beams?

ArcticCatZR800 said:
If your asking me, my 800 doesn't have HIDs. I just know from other installs what should work or not. HIDs in mine would be nice though....if only i had some money[thumb] If i was you, i would check everything over real good, make sure you hooked the rectifier up right(negative hooked to ground, ac not switched with dc ports...ect). If none of that works the only thing i can think of is faulty ballasts, faulty rectifier or the amps are too low.
well i was going to put this on my sled, not sure now. mine is more like yours battry less efi. this i was told has a DC output for the computor. wonder if i would have the same problem

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
PM SnowmobileAddict and see if he can figure it out, he seems the be the best source on HIDs on this forum, he might be able to think of something i can't.

19Mike59 said:
well i was going to put this on my sled, not sure now. mine is more like yours battry less efi. this i was told has a DC output for the computor. wonder if i would have the same problem
The computer uses DC but the lights and everything are still AC so you will need a rectifier...weather or not you need a battery or not depends, some sleds put out enough amps, some don't. If not its a simple fix though, you just have to splice a hobby-type battery pack into the system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
PM SnowmobileAddict and see if he can figure it out, he seems the be the best source on HIDs on this forum, he might be able to think of something i can't.

19Mike59 said:
The computer uses DC but the lights and everything are still AC so you will need a rectifier...weather or not you need a battery or not depends, some sleds put out enough amps, some don't. If not its a simple fix though, you just have to splice a hobby-type battery pack into the system.
reading on these ballast they have out put of 8.5 volts ((AC))

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have no clue then, HIDs run on DC so that doesn't make since at all. I have a question though, what bub does the zr's have? I'm 900 miles away from my sled and i might get me a kit but i need to know what bulb style they are (H4, H3...ect) even a part number would help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
I have no clue then, HIDs run on DC so that doesn't make since at all. I have a question though, what bub does the zr's have? I'm 900 miles away from my sled and i might get me a kit but i need to know what bulb style they are (H4, H3...ect) even a part number would help.
I DONT HAVE THEM FOR SLED, BUT THERE THE SAME AS WHAT I WOULD NEED. 893 SINGLE BEAM A MOTORCYCLE KIT AND A CAR KIT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts