Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 xcr starts and runs fine. after running it a while it seems to idle high, around 3500 rpm after a good run and won't come down. If I choke it for a second or two, the idle drops to normal and stays there until I give it a good run again. Where should I start looking. This is a completely stock sled with aprox 2k miles. Thanx.

·
Registered
450 Posts
my sled does that too after a hard run.. i couldnt find the cause either? i was thinking maybe because i was running a bit lean when i checked the plugs. check your plug color next time you do it and let me know.. although i dont know the reason for the idle to be high ? its a weird one..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have noticed that my triples wont kick down till it idles a few seconds at around 3000 rpm or less. I would turn your idle down slightly and try that. Before you try that make sure that carbs are in good sync and that one of the slides has not come loose which will hold up the idle.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Check all of your mixture screws to make sure they are set correctly.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the input, I'll look at those areas as soon as I get back north to where I left the sled. The wierd thing about this problem is when I put the choke on for a second or two, the idle drops to normal and stays there. I'll be looking for air leaks too. After all its seven years old and looks untouched. I'll post what I find.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My '97 XLT SKS was just doing the same thing this past week. After riding, the idle would stay at around 3000 RPM, then jump back up to 4000 RPM, and then go back and stay around 3000. I brought it to my dealer and found out my carbs were still a little dirty, fuel screws weren't correct, carbs weren't synched the best, cables needed some adjustment, and my oil pump was a little lean.

So after they fixed all that, my sled idles just fine now and runs better. So maybe look into all that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same phenomenon on my zr 700 -00. It has an idle of 3-4000 and goes down to 1500 about 5 s after i stopped the sled. It will also drop if I choke it.

Hotrod I've checked my slides in the carbs and there is a little play in them. How tight should they be?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
REPEAT
This tells you that your pilot and/or air mixture screw needs adjustment

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx TeamNFG (and others) I'm pulling the carbs to inspect, clean and adjust them. The sled is 200+ miles away so I post what I find asap.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hotrod I've checked my slides in the carbs and there is a little play in them. How tight should they be?
[/quote]what your sled is doing sounds normal. What i meant was the cap that you undo to remove your slides sometimes comes loose and your idle rpm will rise because the slide is held up..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My sled idles the same and I just had the carbs cleaned and motor tuned. I have had this problem for at least the last 2 years. I just click my choke 1/2 way and bring the idle down when I come to a stop, Then she idles around 1500 RPM. I always thought it was do to my holtzman ataack.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

REPEAT # 2
This tells you that your pilot jet needs to be changed or the air mixture screw adjusted

cleaning a carb is good but WILL NOT fix the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts