Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a recreation vehicle dealership near my home that sells 112 octane racing fuel. I am considering getting some for my sled and was looking for some comments. I would definatly like to squeeze all of the power out of my sled as I can but not at the cost of destroying the engine. I have been told that running it would be fine, mix it half and half with premium fuel, and that it would be too hard on the engine and not to use it at all. Any one else out there use high octane fuel? I would appricate any insight on this topic.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
What mods do you have that will "REQUIRE" that much octane?
If you don't need 95+ octance don't use it. You will actually have less hp as the engine will not produce enough heat to throughly burn the fuel.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
+1 what he said. Your actually better off just finding the freshest gas you can find at the lowest octane your sled will take with out detonating.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
If say you had high elevation heads with 15:1 compression then yes you could/would use it.

I have 12.85:1 heads and use 91-93 with no det or knock.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Every year I see the same race fuel / high octane questions.

As stated above, race fuel will give you less performance in a stock motor.
The high octane fuels over the 91 / 92 octane pump gas burn slower and cooler than pump gas.
This will make your motor run too rich and be all barbely.

The motors that run on race fuel have been built to do so.
Porting, milling the heads / after market heads, advanced timing, things like that.

In the mod sled that I just sold, it was ported and had timing advanced etc. Had to run 1 gallon 114 VP Pro Purple in each 4 gallons 91 octane Chevron pump gas.

That fuel was $6.38 a gallon last time I bought it.
That's also part of the reason that I went to a new sled this year.
Back to just a, SLP piped 07 Dragon RMK with Gravity Worx parts and that's about it. Pretty stock for me actually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.