Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used snowmobile engine (for another application). It is a Hirth 210R (400). Im not sure what the 400 means. It came out of, as the guy told me, "An early 70's AMF". I need to know more information about this engine. If anyone knows anything about it or where I can find more information please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Chevy,
Welcome to the forum. This is by far the best online resource I've found for sled information and advice... I did a quick Google search for Hirth 210R and found rewind parts, gasket kits, etc. Specs on older engine are hard to come by without buying a shop manual, but if you look hard enough you'll find them. What kind of project is this going on? I'm in the process of building a go kart around a '79 Kawi TA440 (50Hp). Let us know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go kart. It looks like an easy engine to adapt. Its pull start so I dont have to worry about electrical or battery. The guy said it has a clutch and doesnt need any type of transmission or anything (and I would just need to put a belt on and go). It pretty much looks like it comes with everything in one self containd unit (like an actual go kart motor). My only issue is that I have no clue how big (physical size) this thing is so I dont know how hard the fab of the brackets is going to be. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was reading this post http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7000
and it made me wonder.... Do I need both clutches for a go cart application or can I make it work with only the one that is attached to the engine. Also, it said something about gears, I dont need the gear box do I?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
This link may help a little more.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/polarisman/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6896

And yes you will need a secondary clutch for it to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts