Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the BS topics and posts with people bitching, I thought we might get back on track with something new and fresh! This topic will need the help of admins and mods(scary thought for some lol). I have been coming here religously for over a year now, and have been wondering about it's history. Since Eric and P-Man don't live in the same city( or country!) how did you guys decide to form this site??? What kind of troubles did you guys have? Just stuff like that, I think this might help some appreciate what we have here, and at least put my mind at ease!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Well my good friend, it was long, long ago. In about a month this forum will be two years old, so...about this time, two years ago the magic started.

I had been previously visiting Polaris-Man's site a half a year before this. I liked the site, liked all the cool pics and all. Well, Polaris-Man started a forum. He had some kind of premade forum hosted on a wierd server and that was goin good, all of a sudden he must have found this forum software, and threw together a different, and better forum on a free hosting account that included .asp. So, I visited many times a day, chating and having fun. The forum was pretty popular. I even remember backing up Polaris-Man in a post that someone got mad at him it. I said he worked hard to bring us a forum, and we should be happy for that. And he was like, yeah...thanks...I will handle it. So, from there on I kept posting for another month or so.

I already had a personal geocities site I was messing around with, and set up this really stupid forum, I had been learning more and more about websites and decided I wanted my own domain name. On a day in late Febuary, 2 years ago...I purchased snowmobilefanatics.com I had been taking a computer art class in school, so I did some graphics for it, threw up a site that had really nothing on it, and called it good. I didn't get hardly any traffic. I was lookin at P-Man's forum one day and noticed it was some special forum software....I decided I would try set it up at my site, after a couple days of frusteration, I had a forum!! I even had a member that posted!!!! It was SO cool. In mid March, for some reason...the host for P-Man's forum just died, he lost everything and was without a forum. I was regularily visiting the support site for the forum software and P-Man also visited there. I was confused as to where his forum went. In a message at that board I was looking for help to add an alternate login, all of a sudden P-Man chimes in. The exact words are stated below:

I would like to add a login area to login to the forums on the left frame of my page. You can view my website here. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com I don't even know where to start. Thanks.

Sr_Erick... Snowmobile Fanatics

Hey man. It's me (Polaris-Man) My forums died but I'm getting some new ones soon. Just wondering if you'd like to affiliate with me. they will be similar to the ones at http://www.topprospectalert.com/snitz/ with all the features and stuff.

contact me [email protected] if you are interested.

"It's not how far you go, it's how go you far"
- Guy in Ski School

The exact post is here....
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7455

With these words, the forum began construction. We decided we didn't want to do things the regular way, and didnt know where to put a single forum so we devised a plan of a dual interface forum. Up until then, I had only heard of one other person making such a forum, and an outburst of these questions from me and P-Man were posted on that forum.

We were getting there, slowly but surely....we were getting it. We stayed up VERY late many nights, working until 3:00 in the morning. I believe you can still find the first post here.

With all this said, we are where we are today. The forum started out very slow, and it wasn't untill the following winter that we actually got some action here. We decided on the no brand bashing in the very first month the forum was in operation. We have stuck by our words from then on.

The forum has underwent 2 upgrades I believe...and in the future, perhaps next summer or fall will undergo another.

Polaris-Man (Jeff) and I met in December of 2001 at Grand Forks, ND in Best Buy. We decided on a central location that we both knew of to meet, before the sno-x. Later on we met in Fargo, and ate pizza at some pizza hut and went to sno-x. This last december, we met again at the sno-x in alerus center again. Hopefully we can get a sled ride together, and perhaps with other members of the forum.

As I remember more things, I will edit this post and post them here. This is pretty much how it went.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
That is 100% accurate. It was erick who designed the layout and convinced me to buy my own domain, and that is how Polarisfiles was born, but that's another story.

Hopefully the mods will post how they found the site and what they did to con us into giving them special privileges [;)]

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
man ive only been here a year and only a mod for a short time. but damn i didnt know all that info! im glad to be a part of the forum working on making all the BS go away. Erick and P-man thanks for the honor of the job i currently hold. I hope to keep it in the years to come. Ill do my best to help you guys out and ive told you both im always open for some code crunchin. (i have to learn sometime right)

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Well, here they are. The first 3 topics with the first posts this forum ever saw.

First topic EVER on this forum.
PF forum:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/polarisman/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=103
SF forum:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=103

First SF Topic EVER
PF forum
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/polarisman/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=104
SF forum
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=104

and first PF topic ever
PF forum
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/polarisman/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=105
SF forum
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=105

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
well i stumbled across this forum looking for help with my indy 600. since then i was hooked. 99% of the people on this forum are kick a$$ and im thankfull i found this forum. Ive made some good friends from this forum even tho ive never met them in person it just means that when i do we already know eachother and can act like normal

bobby

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on!!!! That's exactly what I was getting at, kind of cool to see the first post and all! If I remember right I found this forum right after I bought my XC, I did a search on yahoo for snowmobile forums. After a few pages of junk, and lame forums I found this one. I browsed around for a few days, reading posts and such before I finally signed up. The first few months I hardly ever posted, but then I warmed up to the place....and now I can't keep away!! By the way I have said this many times and will say it again, you guys are awsome! Keep up the hard work, this forum is the best one around IMO and don't let some of these a-holes get ya down!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What Bob said.

I found this forum after I bought my blown up XLT. I wanted help but I didn't want to join a forum where everyone makes you feel like an idiot and insults your sled and intelligence before maybe helping you. Thanks Pman, Erick, mods and all you guys with the answers and encouragement.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well now on to my story. Back in Sept. 2000 i acquired my first sled that i paid for myself. My 2000 Indy Triumph. Not knowing a whole lot about the triumph i searched for some information on polaris sleds looking to gain some knowledge of it before i took the plunge to purchase it. At the time there wasnt a whole lot of information available for it (due to its lack of popularity). But it was P-Mans specs and information page i found on the triumph which was not really what i was looking for but it was a step in the right direction. Mind you this was before this current forum existed. I was a memeber on P-mans old forum that decidedly crashed one day and was never heard from again. After it crashed I was unaware of a new forum for quite a few months. One day i decided to check to see if the forum ever made it back online and thats when i found this site. Since that day i was always pokin my nose around in the shop offering any advice i could always doin my best to help out my fellow sledders. I began to post regularly for a while until I recieved a note from p-man and erick about becoming a mod for the site asking me to help out. xltman and myself felt quite honored to be chosen for this duty. Since then I have pretty much called "The Shop" my home away from home. As many of you may see i frequent the boards quite often, though i don't post as often as i used to. There is one great reason why i dont have to post as much. Its due to fellow sledders such as myself signing up for the forum and sharing their knowledge. (I give thanks to the responsible members for this) Though the forum is becoming very large I have trouble looking at all the posts, I still do try to look at as many posts as i can. If anyone needs to get ahold of me there is always the PM feature that works nicely.

But most of all I wish to thank not only P-Man and Erick, but you the Members of the site. Without you guys we would have no forum.

Lastly, I am a firm believer in the number "0"

00 Indy Triumph
0 Alcohol till after the sled is put up for the night
0 Brand Bashing (I totally agree w/P-man and Erick on this policy)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I dont really remeber how i discovered this site...I think it was a link off of another page, maybe snowmobileforum.com or somethin. Damn am i glad i found it though...great people nd learned alot of stuff !

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I think I just put in a search for snowmobile forum and I clicked on this one and signed up which im glad I did because I live off this site, How much did it cost to make this site??

·
Registered
502 Posts
I found this site while browsing my local telephone service website. Wikstrom. Which happens to be where snowmobilefanatics is hosted. So I started browsing, and soon posting. I live close to erick, and a few other members and also know a few people from here. I like coming back to this site because I don't get beat down for my opinions and suggestions. Although my post numbers arent as big as some others, I've been coming here pretty steady for about a year now, or maybe more.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well you all knew you had to hear from the most controversial member here as of lately-lol, anyways, i found this site on yahoo search, i was looking for forums and chat rooms for our beloved sport. ive been a member for almost 2 years. I was looking for some help with my current sled 93 polaris xlt sp, and i got great advice here, and been comming back ever since. I really liked the relaxed atmosphere, even though some times it can and always will get caotic. I got to talking to pman and erick on icq, and now just about everyday on msn, along with arctic-cat-guy, bobby,and Triumph.
I think the one thing we all must remember is once in awhile we all say or do things that will affect other users, like us of the moderating clan. we have to be so open minded to the opinions of the users, that once in a great while we will do something that will make some upset. I do not like to lock a topic, but it is up to me to keep things running smooth, and keep things clean for the younger users that visit, either as a guest, or as a regular Fanatic. I also would like to thank the users that back our decisions, and appriciate the way we handle things, for it is you guys that make this site what it is, and a place that most of us call home.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's any consolation xltman, I myself and I'm sure many other members would say that the last thing you guys (admins, mods)have to do is explain yourself to us. There are only a handfull....if that, of whinners that complain around here. This site rules! And will continue to as long as the admins and mods such as yourself just keep on keeping on! I hope nothing changes around here, except maybe the attitude of a SELECT few.....oh and maybe a few more members too, that couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I was searching for a good forum to join,and low and behold,i found this one.but it wasent easy,i tried one after another,then i hit the jackpot,i found this one.but i forgot to write it down or add it to my faverites.but after more searching i found it again.and it was well worth it.it dident help that i had just learned to turn on a computer let alone brouse the web.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I know I've caught myself thinking "why do I even bother" when stuff starts happening like yesterday. People who have problems with stuff are usually very loud and open and will let you know with some impact if they don't like the way things are being done. It's not very often that words of encouragement are spoken. Although it seems when people start to be jerks like yesterday, the people who make this site worthwhile start up very uplifting topics, and I thank those who make it feel like spending all them many many hours working on this place are worth it.

Nobody is perfect, and when people start attacking something we have poured many hours of work into, I know I get defensive. There is a huge difference between relaying a problem you may have like a civil human being, and making a huge ruckus and disrupting everybody.

Our history consists of many good events, lots of information, and the odd minor, disruption. I've probably been involved in every one of them. Fact is, most of those who have been involved in disruptions are still regular visitors. I can think of a few people right off hand, such as Maydaze, Sledhead, Sled Dog and Madcow. (nothing against you guys of course). Those are the ones who I have had "differences of opinion" with. If you really think I hate any one of them, then give your head a shake cuz that's just not true. I appreciate every member who visits this place. Even if you have a problem or whatever, it can be sorted out in the end somehow. All the members are what make this place worthwhile. So thanks goes out to everyone who visits this site, and thanks goes to future members, even if at some point you get a post directed at you from me which involves [:(!] don't take it to heart. I try not to come off as a jerk, but somehow that happens sometimes anyway. Anyway, usually what happens in 1 topic won't transfer to others.

Basically that's it.

Another essay

lol

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
thanks alaskangold, its good to hear from everyone that they appriciate us(to some degree) but you know, even though i am a mod, im still just a regular user, just like everyone else.
i think i got conned into helping out, cause pman and erick, along with triumph were all talking so much each day on msn, that i must have came off to the bosses as a pretty open minded, fair guy (how that happened, i am still puzzled-ask my wife) which most of the time i am. but i really felt a sense of pride that these people, whom i have never met, and someday would like to, trusted my judgment with their "baby". Weve all gotten to know each other over the past couple of years, and ive gotten to know some of the regulars here, and really as a whole, everyone here is great, we are all different, but our common bond is snowmobiling.
And my last rammblings, just were exactly is BMAN, this guy was a user when i started, i am suprised we havent heard from him yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some pretty cool history! Many thanks to admins and mods!
You guys can be proud of your hard work and site growth.
I found this site on a Google search. . . no need to look
anywhere else for fun, advice and intersting stuff!

Many thanks to Alaskangold for posting this topic.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
TUSF

The
Ultimate
Snowmobile
Forum

TUSF

1 - 20 of 32 Posts