Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, in my 2000 A/C zr 500's airbox, there is a crack on the carb boot
this causes problems when snow gets in the hood and steam is created, there is a bunch of moisture that gets into the carbs and it bogs down.. what can I do to seal that up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a novel concept..... replace the $10 part! WOW what a great idea..... What will you do when you run out of gas? Sell the machine?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're a waste of skin, tomvitt

obviously your brain failed to comprehend the question, get out of my thread you half-wit moron

~~
Bobinwi: Yes it is, I'll try that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by SnowMan110
[br]You're a waste of skin, tomvitt

obviously your brain failed to comprehend the question, get out of my thread you half-wit moron

~~
Bobinwi: Yes it is, I'll try that
half wit moron..... well let's see.. I had the same problem and replaced both carb silencer boots for less than $21.00. Problem solved.... why mess around with patching a piece of cracked old rubber? Replace it before it burns down your motor or leaves you stranded on the trail... why put a band aid on a broken bone?
I am sorry my post seemed so caustic, but you would think that your post was pretty self explanitory. If you belt cracked or wore thin, I am sure you would not have asked how to repair it!

"99% of the time a 35 year old will post something that isnt stupid, 99% of the time a 17 year old will post something that is stupid"

·
Registered
482 Posts
tomvitt, you are right, why not just replace the part, any of those air box boots are no more than 20 bucks. Maybe the attitude wasnt so good, but hey you got the point across! haha

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waste of money when there is maybe 2 inches of crack EASILY sealed by silicone

Why would I spend $20.00 if I can spend $5.00 and have the same result?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by SnowMan110
[br]Waste of money when there is maybe 2 inches of crack EASILY sealed by silicone

Why would I spend $20.00 if I can spend $5.00 and have the same result?
Your only temporary fixing it, the problem is the crack will continue to spread with use.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and the part would be called what exactly?

1670-187 BOOT,AIR SILENCER - CARB $87.79

Brown's leisure worlds price

Are you kidding me? No way will I pay that price, I just dumped $400.00 on a new suspension and track!

·
Registered
19 Posts
your right.... save $15 today to put a band aid on a broken bone and save like mad to repair your engine when you burn it down trying to run it on water instead of gas..... Hint, that is why they call it a gas tank instead of a water tank......

Hey money makes the world go around, it don't matter how old you are or how much money you make, we never have enough... if you needed a quick temp repair, sure i would agree that some silicone would do the trick, and it will.... until some more of the old rubber cracks and you have the same problem..... or do you notice the problem? Or do you ride like you stole it and burn it down? Do I make this stuff up? No I have witnessed it first hand and avoided it myself by taking the right corrective actions for long term engine longivety. Hey we are all here to learn and help... that is why we signed up. So Bob is not wrong, nor am I right.... but if you want to protect your investment and have a reliable sled to ride without cutting corners today only to spend 100's of times more money down the road or scrapping your machine, then do the right thing and FIX it. You asked for our advice, if you don't like it, don't ask.... I wasn't asking you to spend a ridicoulous amount of money unnecessariarly, I was only giving you advice on how to solve your problem for the long haul and prevent further problems.

Best wishes and luck.

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
I researched your part, and in fact the part you need is close to $90.00. However if it were me, I would still replace it. It is much cheaper than rebuilding a motor.

I personally just replaced both boots on my daughters 96 panther. They were $9.65 each. So obviously there is a difference between machines.

Still I would replace it, and I would honestly like to see you or anybody replace it for the long term fix.

Enough said.

Tom

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Don't forget that Browns is posting their prices in Canadian dollars.. go to

http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

for US pricing...

·
Registered
764 Posts
when looking at prices are u looking at the boot that goes on the other end that 2 bolts go through?? i know those are pricy, 90 bucks seems steep for the one that sticks in the airbox

·
Registered
482 Posts
I only use browns for the part numbers, then I call my local dealer and ask for their price. Browns has great diagrams and info, but I wont ever buy anything from them.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
yeah i had to replace all of them on my ZRT carb and aorbox ,high dollar

·
Registered
764 Posts
Originally posted by thehawk789
[br]I only use browns for the part numbers, then I call my local dealer and ask for their price. Browns has great diagrams and info, but I wont ever buy anything from them.
any reason why u wont?? Ive never had a problem with them, and u get a discount if u buy online from them. I buy all my cat parts i need from them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did just put a clear silicon mixture i bought at a hardware store , worked great it was on dirtbike but same thing realy!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did just put a clear silicon mixture i bought at a hardware store , worked great it was on dirtbike but same thing realy!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just usually get stuff from ebay, I very rarely buy brand new parts- usually just random stuff like if I lose a bolt and some of those plastic suspension parts. When the my sled blows up I'm going to part it out on ebay like i did with the last one- youd be suprised how much I make off a junk sled- well over its value.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts