Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever drilled a small hole under where the chain case to let the oil run out..i was thinking about doing this and putting a plug after but is it a good idea or will it weaken the bulk

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Good idea, just make sure the plug doesn't interfere with the chain. I have one from factory, but I can't get it out so I have to drain the oil into the belly pan lined with rags. :(

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i mean i was gunna drill through the belly pan and put a plug in that so most of it will come out then i can whip the rest up with a rag

·
Registered
207 Posts
There should be a plug already in it on the inside of the tunnel where the drive axle is.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hes talking about a hole just like the side of the belly pan has for the access to the primary clutch bolt. I think its a great idea and i cant see one problem with that idea. Buy a plug for the side of the belly pan and drill the hole the same size. Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought that there was a drian for the chaincase on the inside of the tunnel so that one would not have to put holes in the belly pan.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes im talking about a hole in the very bottom of the belly pan so when i pop the chaincase open the oil will be able to drain in a container and not all over inside sorry if i didnt not make this clear

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Shouldn't all sleds already have that holein the belly pan? I know every Polaris does. Can't say I have ever successfully used that bottom drain plug though, plug never wants to turn

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no not all do very few do and not all polaris do i have had 3 different ones and they did not have a drain hole in the belly pan maybe in the chaincase cover yes but still the oil get all over inside plus i like to get inside and look over the gears and chain

·
Registered
207 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
yes im talking about a hole in the very bottom of the belly pan so when i pop the chaincase open the oil will be able to drain in a container and not all over inside sorry if i didnt not make this clear
If you feel around the inside of the tunnel on that zrt there should be a bolt in the bottom of the chaincase that will let you drain the oil out.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cat_man_doo08 said:
teamarctic14 said:
If you feel around the inside of the tunnel on that zrt there should be a bolt in the bottom of the chaincase that will let you drain the oil out.
yes i understand that part but my ? is would it be a big deal if i drilled a hole through my belly pan to let that drain on the ground would it weaken the sled of any sort or possible start cracking off the hole that will be drilled

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I guess I don't understand what your plan is...
CatManDoo says on the ZRT you can already drain the oil out on the inside of the tunnel. this would keep oil out of the inside of the bellypan and let it drip to the ground

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There will be absolutely No Problem doing what you described.
The belly pan is all plastic anyway, and is not a stressed member.
Drill the hole directly in the lowest area of the pan, and use a clutch access plug like suggested above.

Personally I think you've got a pretty good idea there, might do the same on Mine.

Rick

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Festus33 said:
Ther will be absolutely No Problem doing what you described.
The belly pan is all plastic anyway, and is not a stressed member.
Drill the hole directly in the lowest area of the pan, and use a clutch access plug like suggested above.

Personally I think you've got a pretty good idea there, might do the same on Mine.

Rick
alright just knowing theres no stress and such i have my answer thank you.. now do you think the hole that has been drilled should be pluged or just leave it

·
Registered
454 Posts
Plugg it so you dont get unwanted snow up in there. If its a light powdery snow you know how that shit finds its way into everything or so it seems. Ive had the same idea and just never done it yet. So it sounds like at least three of us will, and remember, a round hole is a hell of a lot less prone to cracking, and the clutch access plug hole has never cracked on any of mine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ought to do the same and quit thinkn and start doing. I need to finish the suspension on both the Storm and RXL. I will take pics of my cluster F**k of a Garage.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
nope there isnt not on mine
Have you looked inside the tunnel, checked, and double checked? The parts fiche shows a plug on the rear (tunnel side) of the chaincase.

There was a time when I, too, did not think I had a drain plug for the chaincase. While I had the track and suspension out one day, I discovered there was one there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts