Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has installed a Holtzman Tempaflow on their touring sleds. I heard that it can really improve your fuel economy by as much as 3-5 mpg or so since it compensates for temperature differences in jetting and it tends to offer better throttle response and allows for cleaner burn with less emmisions too. I heard that the base jetting is set for 20 below Farenhite and then it leans it out based on temperature. I have really been putting on the miles on the trails this year and I came across this on the internet and was wondering if they really work well? I may be getting about 10-12 mpg (if that) on the 1996 XLT Touring and about 14mpg or so on the 1996 440 fan cooled Touring 2up. Any good or bad expiriences with them?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
For what it's worth, when you see a Tempaflow or ATACC listed for sale it usually lasts 1 or 2 days before it sells. The reason they advertise a fuel savings is because usually you can lean a stock sled down about 2 main jets and still be safe. Letting a fuel compensator lean out the jetting makes it safer and adjust jetting, resulting in the sled being more responsive.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Yes. It works. Best $$ i spent.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, Do you have one on your sled and did it make a big difference in fuel economy when you installed it? Since I like to go out on long treks and any thing that could help out with improving fuel economy would be great. I also like a more responsive sled and if it helps out with lowering emmissions that great too. Are they easy to install yourself? I do have a fair degree of mechanical ability and do most of my repairs on my old Tigershark watercraft and clean the carbs when necessary on my two Polaris snowmobiles. I use Seafoam now and I haven't had any problems with dirty Carburetors. Or are they best left to having a snowmobile repair shop install them? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Easy to install. Theres a few guys on here that did it. Instructions make it harder than it is. I have 2 sleds with them. Running hard on my 700 I can get 13-14 mpg, cruising it will pull 15-16 mpg. On my 440 I normally get 18 mpg, no matter how it's riden.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard that you need to rejet to -20 degree Farenhite and change the main jets in your carburetors according to the jetting information for temperature and elavation under your hood or in the owners manual for your sled. It also said that you have to drill a hole and add a tap for a vacuum line to the top of one of your carburetors. I heard that the tempaflow varies fuel from full out put to up to 2 jet sizes smaller depending upon the temperature. When running at 20 degrees above you would be running overly rich without the tempaflow so this could really improve fuel economy

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I installed the ATACC on my sled this year, i picked one up for $150. I rode at my base elevation (1300ft) and also out in te Black Hills (5-7000ft) And it ran great. It literally takes a guy longer to read the instructions and try to figure out what the mean, but once it makes sense it is super easy to install and well worth the money.

As for improving mileage, i never kept track on the few trips i have taken, but it does seem to have improved bit.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It is the best performing aftermarket mod you can do to a carb sled. That said the 700-800 twins respond best and is not usually required on a smaller cc engine. With your xlt and 440 fan with 34mm carbs you may better off making sure clutching is in good condition, rpms are 7800 max (xlt), track is loose and then your mileage may improve.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my secondary clutch rebuilt this year with a new spring and buttons and the snowmobile repair shop looked at my primary clutch too and just cleaned it saying it was working well when they tested it. They also checked the alignment of the engine and secondary clutch as well I also put on an excellent condition Storm SKS 0.875" 133.5" track this year too. It has really improved the performance of my sled since I get little or no track slippage compared to the old worn out touring track. I like the idea of improving fuel economy and with a potential boost of performance too. Were is the best place to attach the vacuum line to the carburetors? Also do you have to open each carb to put in bigger jetting or will the stock jetting work with the Tempaflow? Is the sled jetted to -20 degrees below Farenhite from the factory? Also we are at about 1000 feet elevation in Central Minnesota too.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I installed one on my 01 800 prior to this season. Seems to run spot on all the time. I have no idea if it make the sled get better milage. I start looking for gas around the 100 mile mark no matter what. That's pushing it.
BTW-Picked mine up off of CL for $50 brand new.

·
Registered
841 Posts
GustoGuy said:
Where is the best place to attach the vacuum line to the carburetors? Also do you have to open each carb to put in bigger jetting or will the stock jetting work with the Tempaflow? Is the sled jetted to -20 degrees below Farenhite from the factory?
Each application has a different vacuum location. Yes you have to rejet both carbs. It needs to be jetted for -20 at the lowest elevation you plan on riding.

I run an ATACC (temp & altitude)on my RMK and it works great. Once set up, it keeps the jetting consistant across the board. I have no idea on fuel mileage cause when in the deep snow it's hard to keep track of how much it burns. But in reality, it will help in mileage. If you go up in elevation with your standard jetting, the sled will start running richer and richer. Same goes with temperature when getting warm out, the jetting will start getting rich. So the Atacc will lean out the mix, therefore saving fuel.

You can go right to Holtzman and read the instruction manual to see if it fits your do it yourself mode. http://www.holtzmaneng.com/ Just click on tempaflow and it will open links for all the info you need to install.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a picture of my carburetors and air box. There are 3 small plastic tubes going into the airbox. Are these the vent tubes for the float bowels? Do these tubes get attached to the tempaflow? Also do I drill through the treaded cap where the throttle cable goes into the top of one of the carburetors for the vacuum source?
20111305559656_34607.jpg

·
Registered
453 Posts
Please don't think of the Tempa-flow as a performance mod...it is a device meant for riding in different temperatures without going too lean. Make sure you have the sled running correctly, plugs look like cardboard and cylinder wash looks excellent before installing the Tempa-flow. If I were to own another carbureted sled again, I'd get the ATACC.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can these things go bad? Either the ATACC or TempaFlow?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I heard if they go bad and stop working it goes to the factory default jetting or main jet size you have in place. As to having to rejet my sled, I looked in my owners manual and the stock main jet for the 1996 XLT touring is 250. This is for sea level to 900 feet -20 to +10 F. Since my elevation is about 1000 feet in (central to north central Minnesota where I ride) it says 900 to 1800 feet -20 to +10 (use 230 main Jet). Since I will not be riding at any colder than -20 F or lower than 900 feet elevation. I should be alright just installing the Tempa-flow onto my system. This will hopefully save some fuel and allow for better throttle response and less emission as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Would you install a used one? Either TempaFlow or ATACC?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I did, no issues, not much to go bad other than the hoses.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is a response I got from Holtzman's Support:

"IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE AGE OR HISTORY OF THE ATACC YOU PROBABLY SHOULD SEND IT IN. WE CHARGE $35 TO REBUILD THE ATACC AND $5 FOR THE CONTROL CHAMBER. THE CONTROL CHAMBER ONLY NEEDS REBUILT IF THE LARGE INLET FITTING THAT ROTATES AROUND THE BODY OF THE COMPENSATOR IS BLACK PLASTIC; IF IT IS ALUMINUM THEN WE ONLY NEED THE COMPENSATOR. RETURN DOMESTIC SHIPPING RUNS $7. HOLTZMAN"

Less than $50 bucks for insurance...

Todd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts