Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever made there own grip plate for there running boards and if so..what did you use and do you got pics?
thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't done it but a couple of my buddies have. They drilled holes in it and then stuck pop rivets in. It ain't the best lookin thing but it works!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by Snowforce21
[br]I haven't done it but a couple of my buddies have. They drilled holes in it and then stuck pop rivets in. It ain't the best lookin thing but it works!
thats a good idea, I'll have to remember that. [:)]

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
I've heard of a few people doing the rivet idea as well...

·
Registered
639 Posts
But doesnt that take alot of support out of the runnin board

·
Registered
901 Posts
i just put griptape on and it works really good.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have seen pictures of people drilling holes all over the area of the running boards and using machine screws up through the bottom with nuts on top. The bottom of the bolt has to make good traction(a nice cheese grater for shins as well). You'd probably just want to make sure you use the shortest machine screw possible for your boot to touch and use red loctite so they don;t vibrate out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used self tapping sheet metal screws but ran them down trough the top, didnt want to tear up my boots and easier to hop from side to side, works great but still eventualy still ices up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I did a set for my Indy Tril. They work magic! I took a peice of sheet metal, cut it to size, marked a grid so that all the holes are even. Then I punched the holes through using a nail and hammer. I used six rivets to put them down.
Here's some pics:
[attachment=24965]
[attachment=24964]
[attachment=24963]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I seen a couple people use the screws but i once saw a guy who put removable golf spikes from golf shoes. It looked good and worked great too!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Take some Tire Screws made for the ice and put them in the tunnel roll. Thats the most outer part of the floorboard. It works excellent. Just don't use cheap sheet metal screw because they will break and drill tiny starter holes otherwise they will probably not go in as easy and may end up snapping them. I've been there and done that. I have Rox Sled Treds on my sled and they work EXCELLENT. I've yet to hit my knee of shin on them and am hoping not to any time soon either. They give alot more support and stick out about an additional inch so they do have some leverage to them. That being said it would be a good idea to get some tunnel supports (fish bones) for your sled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts