Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to think of somethin to make some slides(ya know, the plastic things so that your carbides don't tear up the trailer deck, and for easier unloading) for my trailer so I don't have to spend around $100 for the ones that the stores sell.

Anyone have any ideas?????I was thinking maybe 3/4 or 1/2" PVC pipe cut in half....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Go to your local car dealer and see if you can get an old truck bed liner that has been replaced by a warranty claim. Take it and cut strips out of it and bolt them down to the trailer bed.You can get enough for about 4-5 trailers out of one liner.

·
Registered
284 Posts
sleddave this is exactly what I did, works great. Ribs are just high enough to avoid the carbides from sticking.

You could also use small pieces sideways for traction for your track.

I got mine for $25.00 Cdn at a scrap yard.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's what I did on my 4 place trailer. Made them wider than they needed to be but that was helpful for the different ski widths on the sleds we have.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with a car dealer unless you 'know a guy'. Try going to a canopy place or wrecker and see if they have any scrap take-offs. They might part with them for cheap or nothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did the same thing on the ramps on my trailer . Found mine at a local landfill, they had 4 of them just sitting there ....that might be an option for you too.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Oh and when it comes time a wheel grinder with a zip disk cuts the material quick and the very best. Wear eye protection though! Speaking from pure hindsight (pardon the pun)

·
Registered
40 Posts
bigwilly : It helps if the company you work for manages the site :) [:)]

Our landfill is not all that strick any how, my fellow co-worker is somewhat of a pack rat .....no he's the worlds biggest pack rat ! He saves everything ! No matter what you are looking for if he hasn't got it give him time and he will find it, sounds kinda sick to get things out of a dump but you would be surprized on how much stuff he recycles ......

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Another good thing we found for traction on your trailer is a section of old track. Just cut a three foot section and screw it to the deck, a couple buddies used an old 1" track...seemed to work very well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ditto the bedliners. I put an add in the local buy n sell wanting a few with verical ribs. We had enough to do three trailers for about $60 cdn.
The track on the trailer is a must. You can crawl the sled up without the wild spinning that usaally happens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can the paint on options like Herculiner stand up to this kind of abuse? I wanted to replace the plywood on my trailer and use something like this to also aid in unloading other loads like dirt and rock.

·
Registered
948 Posts
And if you don't have an old track to use, you can cut up old belts and screw them to the sled/trailer deck or ramp for added traction. You know you'd just throw those old belts out neway. [;)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts