Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my buddy has seen my homemade can that is on my sled and he wants to build one. But i know its possible because mine has one but i dont know what all needs to be done while doing it. Dose the sled have to be jetted? Have to be tuned? Im just wondering if anyone else did it and what they did. like to hear some ideas.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Musky30 said:
Well my buddy has seen my homemade can that is on my sled and he wants to build one. But i know its possible because mine has one but i dont know what all needs to be done while doing it. Dose the sled have to be jetted? Have to be tuned? Im just wondering if anyone else did it and what they did. like to hear some ideas.
You dont have to rejet for a can.. theres no hp gain..

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
For a homemade one he might have to rejet because of the amount of variables that come into play while making one.

Personally I don't recommend making your own can because there is a far bit of engineering that goes into making it work properly. Notice how I worded my sentence, engineering and properly are the key words. Anyone can make a can for their sled, but not everyone can engineer something that will work as good or better then the stock one. The reasoning for that is because we are not all engineers that have spent countless hours figuring out how the exhaust is going to travel or flow, how much back pressure is required, etc. All things that will effect how the engine will run. Most of the time this homemade cans cause hp loses or engine failure. To me it is not worth the time or money to mess with it unless you really know what it is that you are doing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
driftpounder said:
For a homemade one he might have to rejet because of the amount of variables that come into play while making one.

Personally I don't recommend making your own can because there is a far bit of engineering that goes into making it work properly. Notice how I worded my sentence, engineering and properly are the key words. Anyone can make a can for their sled, but not everyone can engineer something that will work as good or better then the stock one. The reasoning for that is because we are not all engineers that have spent countless hours figuring out how the exhaust is going to travel or flow, how much back pressure is required, etc. All things that will effect how the engine will run. Most of the time this homemade cans cause hp loses or engine failure. To me it is not worth the time or money to mess with it unless you really know what it is that you are doing.
agreed

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
As said above its not advised, but I've heard of people taking a glasspack for a truck/car and just welding it to the pipe needed to make it meet up with the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I am building my own can. A can increase hp but you also have to jet accordingly,
They can alter the tune of the pipe slightly but to an average trail rider you wont notice.
you just have to understand the volumes coming out of the pipes and try to meet that requirement. A slight restriction in the can isn’t a bad thing. To much and you can cook the motor even though you are jetted right, to little and the sled might loose mpg and you need to add more fuel.
The thing I don’t like about the auto glass packs is they are to much flow, don’t really deaden the sound at all and every kid I have seen put one on has now popped a piston.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i have recently had a problem with mine. I do not know who made it but who ever did i know did not take all that into consideration. But when im at high rpms then i go down to lower rpms then wanna go higher again it back fires and pops. To much gas? or oil? I know its not rejetted yet i have to do that yet.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Musky30 said:
Yeah i have recently had a problem with mine. I do not know who made it but who ever did i know did not take all that into consideration. But when im at high rpms then i go down to lower rpms then wanna go higher again it back fires and pops. To much gas? or oil? I know its not rejetted yet i have to do that yet.
Stinger is probably too small, so your pipe starts to get backed up at higher RPM.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
poppping in the midrange can be from a lean needle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ohh. I ran sea foam in it tonight and something happened. I know its not good at all i went though 3/4 of a tank tonight and i went and ate for about an hour and went out started it and let it warm up. I got on and took it easy and went probly about 300 feet and knew it was not running right so i jumped off to check the plugs and there white. Could that be from the sea foam? That i may have put to much in it? or dirty carb and it got worse and leaned it out? I just checked it and its like 120 psi on both pistons.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Musky30 said:
ohh. I ran sea foam in it tonight and something happened. I know its not good at all i went though 3/4 of a tank tonight and i went and ate for about an hour and went out started it and let it warm up. I got on and took it easy and went probly about 300 feet and knew it was not running right so i jumped off to check the plugs and there white. Could that be from the sea foam? That i may have put to much in it? or dirty carb and it got worse and leaned it out? I just checked it and its like 120 psi on both pistons.
White means to lean. Cardboard brown is the perfect between brown/black ( to rich ) and white ( to lean ). So the whiter it is the leaner it is. Can be catastrophic for your engine. Sounds like you either need to jet up, or find a different can.

I had a glasspack on a SnoPro 440 when I got it and it was stupid loud. I like some noise, but I had to get rid of this thing. I rode it no more than a minute it or two before I put a stock can back on it. When I say this is loud, I mean it was twice as loud as my Rev 600 with a custom atv exhaust with the baffles removed. I didnt open it up once in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvSm-C6Xlk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i understand that. But if it was the can wouldnt both plugs be white? Not just the pto side? I am going to put my stock one on and see if thats the cause after i clean the carbs good. After that im going to buy a stinger from rouge and see how that works out.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^Sounds like the jet is plugged on the PTO side. If it were the can in this case both plugs would be white and it would be like that all of the time.

Sea foam is a good carb cleaner, but sometimes it can break loose some big pieces of build up and that is probably what has happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts