Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[galleryattach=15131]It's a 1987 Ski-Doo Formula mx.A 467 cc.Is a great runner,just lacked the suspension.The A-arms are from Fast,the rest is custom.Aluminum shafts are being made,This is just the mock-up,to test out the full range of motion.Custom lower shock adjusters are going to make tweeking a whole lot faster![:D][galleryattach=15130]

·
Registered
999 Posts
That is one interesting sled! I think you are onto something very ummmm unique. Good job. Keep us posted, and don't forget to give us a ride revue after your done.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
WOW!!! LOL that thing is looking good! I guess thats what happens when you love your old sled. keep us posted on how she rides!!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Boy, it looks good, but is it really going to do the job. And what I mean by that is, you've take quite a bit of structure out of the tunnel there. Then put a mount in right near an unsupported edge. I hate to say it, but you are asking for that edge to crinkle. Also with the sled that far in the air you're going to notice some instability. Especially with that narrow ski stance. I wish you all the luck, but I think you somewhat set yourself up for failure.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
That is very interesting. It takes a lot of guts to even try to do what you already did with the front suspension. How well did it work with the stock rear suspension?

I saw the exact same thing triple650 saw. Your mounts for your rear suspension are too close to an edge, but it's too late to add back to your tunnel now though.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[galleryattach=15129]I definately agree with you guys,about tunnel strength.Both arms will be linked togeather with flat-stock alum.As well as along the new angle,up to the rear grab bar.When I stand to the rear of the tunnel,it wrinkled the center.Not good.But,this sled wont see two riders on it,and this will be my 11 year old sons ride when all done.The seat will be padded with closed cell foam,and a snap on cover.The rear heigth will bee a little lower after some shock adjustments are possible.All these shocks are junk!But with a 100lb. rider,and backing off some of the shock travel,finding the sweet spot is the mission.I will post more detailed pics soon.Thanks for the support guys,advice is greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It looks good - I like new things. Like mentioned those holes are not in the greatest place. I don't think that a piece of aluminum is going to cut it. I personally would put a steel plate in there. I would be scared that the aluminum would oval out pretty bad. Other than that, looks great. Do you have any pictures of the skid out of the sled? Or maybe some more closer to it?

Bryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[galleryattach=15718]Took my toy out for the first time yesterday!Wow,it's better than expected! All the shocks on this are stock junk,but they do work rather well.One upper shock mount started to tear the frame,it was only bolted through the frame.Now it needs welded,and reinforced.Hardest part was to locate the maximum shock travel,without being too stiff.Now,new shocks would work great.I had it 3 feet or more, off the ground,and she lands so nice.[:D]I'll take some more detailed pics. soon.

·
Registered
914 Posts
it looks really sick, try and see if you can find a 92/93 style hood for it, and it would look monster sick

keep us updated with lots of pics of your ski-doon my self

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
looks pretty cool, but why did you cut away so much of the tunnel?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
definatly looks pretty sharp for an older sled.now lets see some pics of it in action!

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
^ hell yeah to that

Thats pretty cool and will turn some heads down the trail.. That thing with a paddle track would look like a old school redline haha.

·
Registered
349 Posts
wow great job on that how long did it take you to do that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys,the suspension upgrade took about a month,but mostly because of searching for ideas and materiall for the shafts.Went to a scrap dealer for the one inch.solid aluminum rod.My buddie is a machinist,saved me lots of $.This is still a ongoing project,it works great,but could be better.I dont have limiter straps on the front.Yet.And there is nothing to protect it from bottoming out at the rear,About 15" of travel at the rear wheeles,and it does eat at the heat exchangers!Gotta change that!This spring it gets totally tore down,better ideas,and money for good shocks.Its not super fast on the roads,but they cant loose me on the trails![:D]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Finally someone who is worse than me (I get a lot of grief for working on my "old" sled) Looks great, and besides making it your own is half the fun.
GREAT JOB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts