Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 97 XC 440 and was wondering what the hood is made out of. It is cracked and i need to how to repair it this is why I need to know if it is Fiber glass or plastic.
Thankz

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Fiberglass, and it is not easy to repair. I tried everything from a fiberglass repair kit, to super epoxy glue and they all broke within the same year. What i do now is use a thin sheet of stainless steel or aluminum and trim it to the size you need, drill holes and rivet it to the back of the hood. And if it is broken on a sharp corner, then i'll drill holes and just use alot of Zip ties because of the goofy angles. These DO hold. I've realized I would rather have a hood that STAYS together, than one that looks perfect.
Yes, the rivets may not be pretty to look at, but it's either that or shell out $450 for a new hood and $150 for a full sticker kit!

If anyone has tried something that also works well, I'd love to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Couldn't tell you what Polaris hoods are made of, but I used a compound last year called Fusor 100EZ for fiberglass and body plastics. Tried a fiberglass repair kit before and it just peeled off. Fusor 100EZ comes in two tubes that need to be mixed before application. Worked well for me, only draw back is that it isn't cheap. Around $40 for the kit and you'll need a special caulking gun to push the resins out of the two tubes. If you're from Anchorage, Hi-Tec/Professional autobody supply carries the stuff, they are pretty knowledgeable about their products, they actually asked me what brand snowmobile I had before they gave me the proper product.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have a 98 700 RMK that I cracked the hood in the corner and a 94 Trail that had a crack in the hood when I bought it. I fiberglassed both hoods and nether hood has cracked again. It is the strongest part of the hood. If you glass up the crack just make sure you grind up the back side good with a 36 grit grind pad and make sure there is no oil or anything that will prevent the fiberglass from sticking. Fiberglass will stick real nice to that type of material. The trick is to grind the hell out of the back side. Rough it up good. Riley
good day

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had a bad incident with a rock last year and broke parts of my hood off, i used the rivet method, except i used quarter inch stainless steel. It worked very well and then people also ask what happened to your hood you get to tell them your story about hitting a rock and rolling over 30 times down a hill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i was repairing abouit 20 hoods a year and good success with duramix 4050 a two part urethane. grind both sides of the repair area. on the inside put a layer of drywall mesh tape then the duramix. you can use the duramix on the out side to finish the repair.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I just fiberglassed a crack in my hood, the other day... havn't got it finished yet. Oh and I'm using a marine fiberglass..

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I suppose my fiberglass repair failed over time because when i was applying it, the temp was around 50*F and it dried in there too. (poorly heated garage) I suppose it would have been stronger if it was like 70.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i agree with jim a,i have used the same product,this is for plastic hood repairs.duramix is the way to go.don,t use fiberglass repair on a plastic hood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts