Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up in the mountains where I live, a fellow rider was riding his brand new (2002) Artic Cat, when he tried to cross a frozen lake....or so he thought it was a frozen lake. Needless to say he got about 100 yards in and sank his sled. Turns out it was a sewer pond for the local cabin complex. He made it out safe, but his sled is still at the bottom. His insurance paid it off and he bought a new sled. It's been at the bottom since last winter, would it be worth trying to salvage the sled? It had less than 50 miles on it. JH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Poor sap! You should never attempt to cross "frozen" lakes here in California. The weather never gets cold enough to get them really good and frozen like the lakes in the midwest.

And I agree with confusedguy -- if it's in the poop, then let it ferment! [:)]

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Maybe the Track would still be good, I guess it's one of the few sleds you can call shi**y.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yeah it should all be salvagable just need a good cleaning and probably a complete engine rebuild. Bet its siezed hard right now.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
all the aluminum will still be OK. Any steel will be real rusted, consider the motor toast prolly. You could part it all out and get a thousand or two though I bet!

-Dean

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
after thinking aboutit a little bit that thing has probably settled down in the crap and might even be un findable i used to pull sleds out of the lake in the spring when the ice melted and some of them only after sitting for a month had settled down into the muck about 2 feetand were a pain to get out.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
I don't know how you get them out but I sure woudn't want to be the guy that had to go down and hook up the cable. NaStY. I would keep throwing out a ancor, or drag one behind a boat, run the rope to shore and hook it to a truck and start ripping! Try and Try again. I bet you that kitty isn't purring...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
This is what we use to do. Take 2 boats and 2 anchors tie a rope between the 2 anchors about 20 ft. long then tie a rope from each anchor to the back of a boat and start draging. If the pond isn't too big it shouldn't be too hard to find. I have seen this method used a few times back when I use to race watercross. It works quite well. I would hate to be the person going down to hook up to it. It would be worth looking for. Riley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts