Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '02 Polaris 800 XCSP and a '02 Polaris 500 XCSP that I purchased new in December of '02. I have almost 1000 miles on the 800, and 600 on the 500. During the most recent ride in Northern Wisconsin last weekend, we were returning from a ride in the UP riding in marginal snow conditions, and my wifes 500 was getting hot. I had read that there were problems with lighter people riding these sleds in marginal snow. I had her ride my 800 while I rode her 500 off the sides of the trail to kick up some powder and cool her down. When we hit the next intersection, the 500 was cooled, but the 800 was begining to heat up. We kept switching sleds as well as stopping off the trail to let them cool down for the next 30 miles (in 2 1/2 hours). They were never riden with the temp light on constantally (the polaris retards then ignition to help prevent over heating), we would stop when the light started to go on. The problem was the next morning. I started them both in -8f first thing in the morning. They both started pretty easily, but they both died after running for about 4 minutes. They would not restart easily, and when they did, they would only run for a few seconds. I changed plugs with no noticable change. I checked piston wash, about 2-3mm at intake. Good compression, and no coolant leaks. I pulled them in the garage after we got home, and warmed them up. They started right up, and have ran fine on the track stands. I'm just wondering what could have happened, and other than warming up the sleds in a heated garage, what I could have done to get them running up north.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Carbs or Fuel line freezing comes to mind. You should add some Isopropyl to the tank. This should take the water out of the fuel system. Don't use methonel, Use something like Iso heet brand or simular with Isopropyl in it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The day it happened was at then end of a 225 mile ride with more than one tank of gas run through her. Last tank of gas was from Watersmeet, Mi at a busy fuel station. My initial thought was ice due to running hot the night before and being well below zero when I was trying to start her.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the same problem. Turned out to be iced up fuel lines. Replace the fuel filter because it may have a small ice pellet inside. Since then I have put in gas line antifreeze with every fillup and never had a problem.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you left your sleds outside they probably had either ice in the lines or the carbs. When it gets -20 I keep mine in the garage or it does the same thing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reassurance guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts