Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't sleds have hour meters?

There is a hell of a difference between 100 miles of tight twisty trails vs 100 miles on 20 foot wide flat groomed sno-highway trails. Isn't an odometer on a sled kinda useless?

I'm get sick of hearing friends measure their worth by miles per ride or miles per season when there is a huge difference in how and where those miles are put on.

My truck has an hour and odometer for that reason. My brothers truck had what my truck had on it for miles but his hours were double (mine were all highway miles on the truck), therefor his engine IMO had more wear than mine even though the "miles" were the same.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
All newer cats and poos have them. I would imagine almost all new sleds do. I measure my riding by what sounds the best/worst depending on scenario. For money worth, don't go by hours. 75 hours a year on a $12,000 machine sound bad, 1400 miles a year sounds OK.

Melting down your motor every 30 hours on average sounds bad, but so does every 500 miles.

If you install an hour meter I would hook it up so it needs power from the sled, and then needs a complete circuit from the TPS to rack time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a hour meter on my sled, but my odemeter does not work.

Both hours and miles are not accurate to tell if the machine is worn out. My sled could have gained all of it's hours just sitting there idling, who knows? A sled could have 2000 miles on it and the woman only goes 30mph so that sled would have tons of hours on it.

It is best just to check everything over, and not rely on the milage or hours but if you knew both hours and miles on a machine then you know more on how it was ridden.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The last time i went out for a ride i had my GPS on track mode and by the time the day was over i had 4 more miles on my sled than the GPS, thats 4 miles of track spin on a 100 mile ride. I have about 2800 miles on my sled and say thats average for every ride, thats 112 miles of track spin.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, I would say from '03 newer alotta the sleds have them. Cats for sure. xlneedsnowlx is right too. Its all just an estimate, cause tracks with deeper lugs have less track spin than ones with shallower lugs. I really don't think any of that is meant to be exact but we have to go by somthing. Also, what does it matter if your on a twisty trail or a straight one? What does it matter who puts on the most miles or not? No matter what, your riding and that is the point, is it not? Maybe they should do away with both, than there will be no arguements about who put the most miles on. Also, than a sled can get judged stricktly on looks and mechanical condition. Look at sum of these late 90's sleds that are in mint condition, but are only worth a grand or so just cause they are judged on the miles. Idk, I'm not serious about that, but it is a point.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
srx_600 said:
The last time i went out for a ride i had my GPS on track mode and by the time the day was over i had 4 more miles on my sled than the GPS, thats 4 miles of track spin on a 100 mile ride. I have about 2800 miles on my sled and say thats average for every ride, thats 112 miles of track spin.
I should have done that test when we went to the MTNs in 3' of powder,I bet 1/4 the miles are track spin.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Teicherc said:
Yeah, I would say from '03 newer alotta the sleds have them. Cats for sure. xlneedsnowlx is right too. Its all just an estimate, cause tracks with deeper lugs have less track spin than ones with shallower lugs. I really don't think any of that is meant to be exact but we have to go by somthing. Also, what does it matter if your on a twisty trail or a straight one? What does it matter who puts on the most miles or not? No matter what your riding and that is the point, is it not?
I can tell you right now AC has the biggest dreamometer of them all.

If I cared about miles I have my trip computer set up on my GPS and have 600 miles this year. Granted the top speed on it says like 180 mph because it lost signal and regained it and calculated the distance between to get that outrageous number.

In the mountains it's not about miles or hours, but wear and tear. You can tell if someone was rough on it pretty quick. Just take a look at the stickers and the paint. My sled isn't broke in until the stickers are scratched and their is foilage all over. I have accomplished the stickers scratched and paint chipped off the spindle today in less than 150 miles. I will never buy a used sled because there are people out there that ride like I do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ACG said:
Teicherc said:
Yeah, I would say from '03 newer alotta the sleds have them. Cats for sure. xlneedsnowlx is right too. Its all just an estimate, cause tracks with deeper lugs have less track spin than ones with shallower lugs. I really don't think any of that is meant to be exact but we have to go by somthing. Also, what does it matter if your on a twisty trail or a straight one? What does it matter who puts on the most miles or not? No matter what your riding and that is the point, is it not?
I can tell you right now AC has the biggest dreamometer of them all.

If I cared about miles I have my trip computer set up on my GPS and have 600 miles this year. Granted the top speed on it says like 180 mph because it lost signal and regained it and calculated the distance between to get that outrageous number.

In the mountains it's not about miles or hours, but wear and tear. You can tell if someone was rough on it pretty quick. Just take a look at the stickers and the paint. My sled isn't broke in until the stickers are scratched and their is foilage all over. I have accomplished the stickers scratched and paint chipped off the spindle today in less than 150 miles. I will never buy a used sled because there are people out there that ride like I do.
Your exactly right when it comes to mountain riding. You can play all day and honestly not put on that many miles, but you can leave an area completely tracked. What do you mean by AC has the biggest dreamometer of them all?

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xINeEdSnOwIx said:
Both hours and miles are not accurate to tell if the machine is worn out.
I know that. I never said that. I did mention that about my truck at 50k miles vs my brothers truck at 50k miles when talking engine wear.

srx_600 said:
I would also consider speedometer inaccuracy.

Teicherc said:
Also, what does it matter if your on a twisty trail or a straight one? What does it matter who puts on the most miles or not? No matter what, your riding and that is the point, is it not? Look at sum of these late 90's sleds that are in mint condition, but are only worth a grand or so just cause they are judged on the miles.
Thats what I am saying. I hope you are not talking to me with that post because my post to start this thread said just that. I just get annoyed when people measure how good the ride was or how "hardcore" they supposedly are just because of miles. I have done 100 mile days that take 3 hrs.. then done 60 mile days that take 8 hours that kicked my ass 10x as much. Ooh and I have one of those 90's sleds you mention haha.

I have a friend that has brought up over and over again every season he has more miles.... but he hunts down sno-highways and just racks miles up where I ride twisty trails 75% of the time and very few sno-highways. I bet if you count the hours, I am on the sled more. I don't know.. us all know that miles are not a measure of who rode their sled more, but I know a few guys that will just never get that. Hey we all have our pet peeves, that is mine.

When you tell me about your ride, the word miles should not even come up or they should be just mentioned at the end. It should not be the first words out of your mouth and the highlight of your story.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I agree with Matt in that to me riding is not how many miles you covered that day or that season. It is the fun you had being out there enjoying the trails. Some people enjoy the straight and fast trails and other people like me enjoy the snow winding trails through the woods, others enjoy being out there banging the ditches. The point is that you are out and about doing what you enjoy.

To me the miles or hours on the machine are more of tool to use when deciding when to do preventative maintenance such as changing the oil or just getting the sled checked over. I'm not saying this is the only deciding factor, it is just another guide to use as well as your observations and common sense.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i think having an hour meter on s sled would be awesome
you could tell if the sled has 2000 miles and only 25 hours on it, you can tell the average speed the rider was going.
when buying used it would be helpful

·
Registered
171 Posts
arcticcatmatt said:
xINeEdSnOwIx said:
Both hours and miles are not accurate to tell if the machine is worn out.
I know that. I never said that. I did mention that about my truck at 50k miles vs my brothers truck at 50k miles when talking engine wear.

srx_600 said:
I would also consider speedometer inaccuracy.

Teicherc said:
Also, what does it matter if your on a twisty trail or a straight one? What does it matter who puts on the most miles or not? No matter what, your riding and that is the point, is it not? Look at sum of these late 90's sleds that are in mint condition, but are only worth a grand or so just cause they are judged on the miles.
Thats what I am saying. I hope you are not talking to me with that post because my post to start this thread said just that. I just get annoyed when people measure how good the ride was or how "hardcore" they supposedly are just because of miles. I have done 100 mile days that take 3 hrs.. then done 60 mile days that take 8 hours that kicked my ass 10x as much. Ooh and I have one of those 90's sleds you mention haha.

I have a friend that has brought up over and over again every season he has more miles.... but he hunts down sno-highways and just racks miles up where I ride twisty trails 75% of the time and very few sno-highways. I bet if you count the hours, I am on the sled more. I don't know.. us all know that miles are not a measure of who rode their sled more, but I know a few guys that will just never get that. Hey we all have our pet peeves, that is mine.

When you tell me about your ride, the word miles should not even come up or they should be just mentioned at the end. It should not be the first words out of your mouth and the highlight of your story.
I totally agree with you Matt. I guess when my buddies and I discuss miles its if we go on a trip somwhere and its taked about on the way home or sumthin. Talking miles is definately not the highlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts