Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting away all my sleds for the winter. I noticed a chip out of a bogey wheel and then noticed a few chunks out of my track. Looks like a rock was lodged and skidding on the bogey wheel. Anyway, I have some spots in the track where the nylon/fabric/whatever they used under the rubber is showing. Short of a few lugs being chewed off the rest of the track is fine. What I want to know is how bad does it have to be until it should be replaced? Dealer wants me to replace it at the first sign of wear stating it could be a safety problem if it breaks loose.

Anyhow, your help is greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
82 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6078

Check out this above link .... it contains a discussion on the "how bad is too bad" question, plus provides some tips on how to retard certain types of breaks/rips/holes/etc. on a track ..... hope this helps.

PS ... of course your dealer wants you to replace it ... the more $ for him.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey SledFool, make sure and check out http://www.carrolltech.com/index.html
for repairs on tracks, it looks like they do some incredible stuff there, and appears to cost a LOT less $$$ than a new track. Only thing I can add about bogey wheels is that I have found with a studded track, they tend to get chewed up by the back of the stud plates if you are an aggressive rider, sometimes riding on ice or whatever and the bogey wheels, if going already, tend to just come apart...also keep in mind if this happens, it will tend to let the track ride a little more on the sliders which also may create another problem for you........I had one wheel in the middle of track that looked like it was 'chipped' and the next thing I knew, I was replacing BOTH of them...only cost about $20 each, and fairly easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey Sledfool you should see the track on my nephews 1990 Indy 500. That thing must have 20 studs ripped out of it and beat to hell. Actually the whole sled it beat to hell. He can't seem to kill that sled. He has been running that track in that condition for the last 3 years. One if these times he will spit the track out the back and it will slap him on the back and knock the wind out of him. After seeing how long his track has held together I would say run yours untill it is about ready to fall off. Either that or find one at a swap meet and sell yours for $75.00 Riley

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Riley and yes that is the plan.. I think I will ride it till it falls off.. My local dealer is hurtin pretty bad due to a bad season and I know he is itchin to either sell me a new sled or at the very least a new track..

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I always think Safety 1st. If it does go are you going to get hurt? You don't know whats going to happen. It also could damage other stuff and cost more in the long run.Check Ebay there are always some going for cheap on there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts