Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 600 VES with the xtra 12 and I can't get it to hook up. I know the xtra 12 is more of a trail suspension but I like to race with my buddies on the lake. What can I do to get more weight transfer out of this skid? I already tried pulling the rear scissor stops and it helped a bit but the track would ratchet in deep snow or under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
could try softening the front shock on the rear suspension, loosening the limit strap some. just a few minor adjustments to try.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Tighten up your track a bit, if your 600 is making it ratchet your running it really lose. i ran mine super lose and no ratching and i drive hard.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those changes don't work on the Xtra 12. Shortening the limiter strap only reduces total travel not weight transfer like it would in a normal suspension. Both shocks attach to the rear swing arm. Adjusting the tension will primarily only reduce ride height, not transfer. Modifying the scissor stops is about the best you can do as far as I know. Do a search...maybe you will find something.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought it from the dealer.It is/was a classic touring, GenII chassis. I removed the 2-up and put a single seat on it. Now It's a 133.5" "SKS" type sled. I checked and the limiter straps are all the way out. I removed the rr scissor stops last year but the track would ratchet at times. I tightened the track a nice bit and it still ratcheted so I put them back in. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I think this is a common complaint of the xtra-12 suspension. Does not transfer well and scrubs top-end. Set up right and it provides an excellant ride at trail speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts