Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! i was thinking about changing the chaincase oil on my sled this summer but being that i dont yet have much experience with sleds i dont quite know how to go about doing this... i think that this would be either the first or second time this sled has ever had the chaincase oil changed. any suggestions or comments would be great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Polaris_Special said:
Hey! i was thinking about changing the chaincase oil on my sled this summer but being that i dont yet have much experience with sleds i dont quite know how to go about doing this... i think that this would be either the first or second time this sled has ever had the chaincase oil changed. any suggestions or comments would be great!
some older sleds dont have drain plug so the only way is to remove chaincase cover you might need new gasket reinstall and fill through dipstick or plug check area and very messy have lots of rags handy otherwise if there is a drain plug just drain and fill just like a car if u think it has never been done before might be good idea to get gasket and remove cover just to inspect chain and gears and adjust if needed its good to see whats going on in there nothing worse than walking home hope this helps[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
a 1998 should have a drain plug underneath. Simply drain the fluid and refill to the right level, about 8oz maybe a little more I think. You should really take the cover off and give it a good cleaning, check all the bearings, sprockets and drive chain. Look for wear and replace parts if needed. Had a bearing fail on me this winter in the middle of the woods because I didn't check it before the season stated. :-o

To remove the cover drain the chaincase fluid. remove side body cover. remove exhaust. (you don't have to but it's alot easier if you do.) remove reverse lever pin, and two bolts that hold the reverse cable in place. Remove 4 bolts around the case cover and center bolt that holds the reverse gears in place. Try and salvage the seal if possible but deff replace if torn or worn at all. Clean and inspect everyting, roll the sled if possible to see if there is any play with the bearings, Upper (Brake) and Lower (Driver shaft). Clean again and replace. Check chain tensioner as well, make sure to tighten to 20 INCH pounds. (Finger tight) and tighten lock nut. Fill with 8oz of polaris chaincase oil and check for leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
If you don't have a drain plug, like I don't on mine I just use a siphon pump and pump all the old fluid out and than take the cover off and clean the case and inspect the gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
There's no drain plug on my 98 xlt sp.

Get lots of rags and pull the cover. On mine, I pulled the exhaust and the oil drained out the hole in the bottom that the exhaust goes through. I put a drain pan there.

A couple of the bolts are hard to get at. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet to get the one down by the back of the footrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
if theres no drain plug, alot of people just tip the sled up on its side before they remove the cover so the oil stays in the case then clean/wipe the oil out that way. some people use a siphon pump. me personally i just put a couple rags under the sled where it comes out and pull the cover then wipe up all the oil that didnt run out, chaincase doesnt really hold that much oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
cooper30 said:
There's no drain plug on my 98 xlt sp.

Get lots of rags and pull the cover. On mine, I pulled the exhaust and the oil drained out the hole in the bottom that the exhaust goes through. I put a drain pan there.

A couple of the bolts are hard to get at. [highlight=yellow]I used a 1/4" drive ratchet to get the one down by the back of the footrest.
[/highlight=yellow]
the hardest one! lol but this is what i do to mine, you should take it apart and clean an make sure everything is in good order, check to make sure your chain is tight enough too, tightin by hand as tight as you can get it, the loosen it by 1/2 turn, make sure the slider bold moves easy before you go and tightin it, otherwise it wont work well for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
i had a few older wedgies that didnt have the drain plug, i drilled about a 1/4 hole in the belly pan under the case and just open it slowly allowing oild to drain out that hole. if not it tends to run all over and out lil gaps and cracks everywhere. either way doesnt make a HUGE mess.
hopefully you have a plug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
since we are talking about chaincases, I have been running ATF through my chaincase for the past three years. i really dont feel like paying 14 bucks for a bottle of oil from polaris. i was just wondering if anyone else does to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Polarisindy400 said:
since we are talking about chaincases, I have been running ATF through my chaincase for the past three years. i really dont feel like paying 14 bucks for a bottle of oil from polaris. i was just wondering if anyone else does to?
nope i dont, i dont think atf would be sufficient,
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top