Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'91 Indy 650 - Speedo wasn't working so I pulled the cable off and then the 90deg. adapter. Found the small drive pin is sheared off. Any good ways to get this out of the driveshaft and out of the adapter. Kinda hard to get at.... but that's usually how it goes.

Thanks for any ideas.
Steve H.

·
Registered
855 Posts
a magnet and a small screw driver maybe?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
First thing to do is figure out why it broke. Most of the time it breaks because the PTO driveline bearing is failing, and as it fails, it drops down slightly, shearing the pin.

I have used a very small drill to drill into it, and hooked it enough to get it out. I have tried easy-outs, magnets, picks, small screwdrivers, just have to keep throwing things at it until the dang thing comes out

·
Registered
134 Posts
a pic set and a magnet are the best tools for the job I think...you might need patience to lol
but like BC Dan said, chek why did it break...and a bad bearing is probably the most common answer to this problem

·
Registered
482 Posts
hey, do a search in the arctic cat forum, I made a thread titled "how to: remove broken speedo key"

its quality stuff, and you will get it out. But why did the key break? previously mine broke because of a bad bearing on the drive shaft, and then it broke again because the speedometer drive adapter had siezed up. You could also have a frozen speedometer cable. My first guess would be the bearing is shot.h

·
Registered
520 Posts
When you do get it out replace that bearing the speedo pin breaking is the first sign of bearing failure. Also put some antiseize on your new pin this way it will come out without all the pain next time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all of the ideas. I did check that the speedo cable spun (with a drill) and the speedo moved also. So, I'll have to check for play in the bearing and also check the adapter. Hopefully the pieces aren't too much of a bear to remove.

Thanks again,
Steve H.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I find that the most common reason the key breaks is because of moisture getting into the housing and freezing up. Keep fresh grease in there every few hundred miles and at the beginning of the season. It is a good idea to clean out the housing and thaw it out, I use a hairdryer, one shop specific.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I was able to remove the piece of speedo key in the adapter easily, but the one in the shaft is being difficult. I did check the bearing and it seems to be in great shape. it looks like it hasn't been in there long. The grease is all fresh, too. Maybe the PO replaced the bearing but didn't fix the speedo - I don't know. I have been lubing up the speedo cable, and the adapter turns freely. Once I get the key out, I'll probably just put a new one in and see how long it lasts. BTW - Where's the best place to get the speedo key (local dealer, Dennis Kirk, etc.)?

Thanks,
Steve H.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
There should be a small adapter into the drive shaft that you can pry out. This will make getting it out easier. But if you do pry it out, I'd just get a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts