Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
slp recomends i reset my timing with my triple pipes. how do i?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You move the stator.

Use a depth gauge to find TDC, and move accordingly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You move the stator.

Use a depth gauge to find TDC, and move accordingly.
so i will find tdc on # 1 wich is the mag side.. right?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
while sitting on the sled yes.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Go to >this thread<

Download the 96-98 polaris service manual.

Go to page 735 in your PDF viewer, it gives you specific directions how to set your timing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You need to use a dial indicator and find top dead center and zero your indicator. Once you have that you need to move to .035" before tdc and verify that the mark on your flywheel is accurate. The 12* mark should be lined up with the pointer. If it's not you need to mark the flywheel so you know where 12* btdc is in relation to the pointer. Once that is done you have to start the sled and rev it to 8000 rpm either on a stand or take the belt off and check the marks with a timing light. If you take the belt of, just be easy engaging the primary clutch so it doesn't slam in. The 12* mark or the mark you made need to line up with the pointer while running. If they don't line up you then need to move your stator either counter clockwise(advance) or clockwise(retard). More than likely it'll be clockwise if it needs adjustment. Adjust accordingly until your marks line up while running at 8000 rpm. Once that's set you're good. Slp just says to verify your timing, not reset it. Some sleds are good some are advanced too much. Yours may be good but this is the only way to find out. Hope this helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts