Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know on a 1997 ZRT800 how to adjust the spring? I'm a pretty big guy (About 265lbs) and when i got to sit on the sled, the back end just goes all the way down. I purchased the sled from some guy who was atleast 80lbs-100 lbs lighter than me, and i still haven't been able to figure any of this adjusment stuff out. i sse the spring, just don't know how to adjust it so that it can hold my capacity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my sled. I found a great aritcle at the site below that helped a lot

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear/article/0,19912,195169,00.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
don't do it when it's too cold like I did and shear that plastic nut off. not I have to take the spring slider off to release the tension then adjust.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
may have to get stiffer springs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for not responding on here earlier. Well I fixed the whole problem with the stalling of the sled and everything, It was the gas. I took out the old gas, put some fuel injection/carburator cleaner in there and put fresh 93 octane gas in the sled. The only really bad thing now is that in Chicago it8 has been 45-50 degrees for 3 days now, raining and all the snow melted, My adventure with the sled was cut short. My next task is that I need to concentrate on adjusting the suspension on it. I just dont want the seat and back end to go all the way down when i sit on it. I am sure that either the spring or suspension on the back has been altered for the previous owners weight. I'm not sure exactly if i have to adjust the Spring as well as the triangle thing with the nut on it... I was also thinking about changing the front end, it is very difficult for me to turn. Is this normal? I mean i have to take a wide turn to be able to turn the sled. A new racing handlebar was put on by the previous owner and i am thinking that i might need to do some work on it. Any thoughts or ideas? Should i change out the front end and possibly make it wider??? How much would that set me back and what parts do i need to do this???

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem with my 97 T-cat, I bought a pair of heavier springs from the dealer...problem gone.......A word of caution on the triangle adjuster, use a small breaker bar and a extension to adjust them...if you use a rachet, as soon as the adjuster clears center it will spin free and slam the spring arm, which will also break it.....I've done it!

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Originally posted by MaverickVS
[br]Sorry for not responding on here earlier. Well I fixed the whole problem with the stalling of the sled and everything, It was the gas. I took out the old gas, put some fuel injection/carburator cleaner in there and put fresh 93 octane gas in the sled. The only really bad thing now is that in Chicago it8 has been 45-50 degrees for 3 days now, raining and all the snow melted, My adventure with the sled was cut short. My next task is that I need to concentrate on adjusting the suspension on it. I just dont want the seat and back end to go all the way down when i sit on it. I am sure that either the spring or suspension on the back has been altered for the previous owners weight. I'm not sure exactly if i have to adjust the Spring as well as the triangle thing with the nut on it... I was also thinking about changing the front end, it is very difficult for me to turn. Is this normal? I mean i have to take a wide turn to be able to turn the sled. A new racing handlebar was put on by the previous owner and i am thinking that i might need to do some work on it. Any thoughts or ideas? Should i change out the front end and possibly make it wider??? How much would that set me back and what parts do i need to do this???
How big are you? Mine doesn't bottom out when I sit on it with 2 people on it!

I think your shocks are shot

·
Registered
482 Posts
If its still sagging the springs are probably shot. Get new ones or heavier ones, or spring retainers that jack up the springs higher and put more tension on them. I think denniskirk.com has them. I had my shocks rebuilt, put the springs on the stiffest setting, but its still sags, so the next step for me is the springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts