Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you clean a 2001 zr 800 exhaust power valves need to know by tonite need a ride to work tommorow and help appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
well you have to take the bolts off of the cover and you can pull the p-valves out. if there is carbon build up you need to remove it. I have used everything from oven cleaner to a dremall tool. hope this helps.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cleaned off the carbon build up and cleaned the parts up put it back together one cable is tight on the apv lid and the other seems to be loose are they both supose to be loose or both supose to be tight it runs so i geuss i did a good job!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I didnt know you have to clean the exhaust power valves in the 2001 ZR 800's. What happens when you don't clean them out?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well im to sure how to tighten it so it stiff but it made a bit of a diffrence they werent to bad atleast i didnt thinks so the 1 that had the loose cable was gummed up in the slot the one that was tight just slid out and it seemes the sled idles to high of rpm and its not a stead idle it jumps around alot and suggestions to what that problem could be?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey arctic cat1 what is your rpms at when your sled is idling mines running at 2 and a half is that normal?

·
Registered
175 Posts
yeah you have to clean all power valves. at least you should. if you have an owners manual it tells how to adjust the cables. If it doesnt move easy inside then its not clean enough

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well cleaned the carbs last night and when you punch it it seems almost to bog but when it gets up to speed it gives er could the clutched need to be cleaned, its on emtey but dont think thats the problem

·
Registered
795 Posts
I cleaned mine the last 2 years and it didn't need it at all, they were sliding with out any drag at all. You have to take off the covers and then there are 2 metric allen head bolts, remove those and pull the valves out. I used carb cleaner when i did mine.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What happens when you don't clean them out?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya ive cleaned them and put them back together already like friday and i cleaned the carbs but its still not running right the idle is was yo high which screw is the idle screw?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You also need to shim the valves so they do not contact the pistons. Check on arcticchat, there is a post pinned in regards to this.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]What happens when you don't clean them out?
They stick which will give poor perfomance and makes it a pain to get them out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shim them down how do you do that?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by 1greenmachine
[br]
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]What happens when you don't clean them out?
They stick which will give poor perfomance and makes it a pain to get them out.
Do you know how many miles I can put on till I have to clean them out?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I do them once a year which is max 1000 miles, i run cats apv synthetic oil and they are nice and clean.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats what were running, and i cleaned them and the carbs but when you punch it, it seems to go but not have as much power till it gets up to speed then it goes sounds like its bogging but it wont loose enough power to shut it down ?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mine is kind off the same way, it takes till about 20 mph for the thing to start tearing. Mine is an efi but when it is really cold out it has a bad bog till it warms up. Also these clutches are in need of rebuilding around 3500 miles i've been told.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts