Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1977 jag with a 1975 el tigre 440 engine in it. As you probably already know. I was wondering how fast can I get it up to? The engine is a 1975 Kawasaki 440 with dual carbs and 4 spark plugs. The sled also has the stock 1977 jag drive train in it.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
is it a liquid 440?if so,i would guess 80-85,depending on the gearing...clutching???
Originally posted by mrM
[br]Hello,

I have a 1977 jag with a 1975 el tigre 440 engine in it. As you probably already know. I was wondering how fast can I get it up to? The engine is a 1975 Kawasaki 440 with dual carbs and 4 spark plugs. The sled also has the stock 1977 jag drive train in it.

Thanks

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would say about 65 mph.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by 97xlt600
[br]I would say about 65 mph.
I'd give him more then that. I had 2 '77 Jag 340's and they would go up to 65 on ice. Those motors were also shot, so I wouldn't be surprise if you can get up to that 80 mark.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well my johnson 440 only did like 60 mph.

·
Registered
295 Posts
truthfully no-one can answer this question? my tiger did 80.don't know your sled, maybe drop 2 teeth on the bottom. see how things go.
how does the sled feel,should you change the gears?
whats the rpm, is this the proper shift speed?
what rpm is the sled shifting at? do you need to change this?
do the rpm's rise or fall at wot?
what's the engagement rpm?
does the sled maintaine a constent rpm at wot?
if you get in heavy snow,does she fall on her face?
if in heavy snow and hit the fun flipper,how do the rpm's react?
these are the questions you have to ask yourself,cause not one of us one this site knows the sled better than you my friend. you are ridding it and that there is the answer to all your questions.no doubt, i sure as heck can offer some advice,but you the man with the machine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
its truely hard to say.. depending on slides, and bearings, and gear ratio in the case, and clutching.. An educated guess would probably be up to 80. Its a free air motor i believe, and if everything is kept up to par, that sled should be pretty fast. they are light, you know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll tell you how fast I can get up to once I get the carbs adjusted right. So far I have only been able to hit 40-45. A little fine tunning shoud do it though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
on my old 79 arctic cat jag 340 Free Air i was radared at 57 and it was 37 degrees out that day and that was in 1000 feet
doesnt sound like your sleds running to good right now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by F5Dreamer
[br]on my old 79 arctic cat jag 340 Free Air i was radared at 57 and it was 37 degrees out that day and that was in 1000 feet
doesnt sound like your sleds running to good right now
yea it isn't. The carbs are a little out of wack.[V]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts