Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
you freakin speed freaks are never happy.So far I've had my Pro X fan over 70 but I haven't tried to see how fast it will go yet.Jeesh, how fast do you really need to go?

Dude, don't freak out.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I think that unless you are going in a straight line for a long time, you wouldn't need much bigger.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by bigwilly:

I think that unless you are going in a straight line for a long time, you wouldn't need much bigger.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...[/quote]

I agree. My '98 xcr 440 sp can always hit 95mph according to the speedo, and that's plenty fast for me. I only go that fast a couple times a year so it doesn't matter that much to me. It's the Acceleration and big air that i crave! But, a 440 woudn't hold too well in the Mts. either, so can see why some people need lots of power. To each, his own i guess.

Let it snow!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
my 500 has plenty of power for me, but our old 488 fan couldn't please me. it isn't so much top end that's important to me, it's the torque and acceleration, especially when hitting a jump, the extra juice a bigger engine has (or liquid) is exactly what i need. same deal as when in any powder or loose snow, it's nice to have that extra oomph.

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know you guys(& most everyone else) are down on fan cooled sleds, but I just gotta say; you wouldn't believe the difference a good clutching set up will make.My Pro X comes from the factory with very agressive clutching.If you blurp the throttle the thing really launches and takes flight.It actually has more bottom end get up and go than my friends '98 Indy 500 liquid(bored .010 over).I know because we swapped sleds for a few miles and I thought it was a dog compared to my fan.He just had the clutches serviced too(this guys sled is always tip top, if you didn't look at the odometer you'd think he never rode it)
For bang for the buck , I think the Pro X 440 fan is hard to beat at $5,200.OF COURSE, I wish I could have got the 600 Pro X, but that's $2,300 more.
confused guy, you never said how fast you really want to go.

Dude, don't freak out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wonder how fast my sled will go. Im scared to go on the river because it isnt my sled its my families so I dont wanna sink it cause we are starting melt down period up here in ak. And my sled will not make a good water skipper. It has dinky ass paddles but any ways I go tit up to 70 without hammerin it so Im thinkin I could get it up to 90 if I cranked it out possibly 100 if I get lucky. I got a yamaha phazer 500 yr.01. Any guess on how fast it will go oh its fan cooled I think. Never really asked but pretty sure it is.

Ride Fast, Ride Hard, Die Hard

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by MegaMan:

I agree. My '98 xcr 440 sp can always hit 95mph according to the speedo, and that's plenty fast for me. I only go that fast a couple times a year so it doesn't matter that much to me. It's the Acceleration and big air that i crave! But, a 440 woudn't hold too well in the Mts. either, so can see why some people need lots of power. To each, his own i guess.

Let it snow!

[/quote]

Yep, I agree also. My sled also hits 95 on the speedo. Did it on Saturday.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by steve:

you freakin speed freaks are never happy.So far I've had my Pro X fan over 70 but I haven't tried to see how fast it will go yet.Jeesh, how fast do you really need to go?

Dude, don't freak out.[/quote]

Once again, I totally agree. Went 95 mph around a corner on the river last Saturday. Lots fast enough for me.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thats awesome P-Man. My point is proven by your posts. Why on earth were you going 95 miles an hour???? because you love the feeling of being on the edge. Everyones "edge" is different. To ride that fast you have to get into the "zone" nothing else matters at that point its just you and the machine. People who ride machines that cant take them to their personal "edge" are missing out on what I personally live for. So what I'm trying to say is you need a bigger machine wether you know it or not. I can tell by the enthusiasm in your post about doing 95mph. Your subconscious wants you to be in the Zone, you cant help it, you have to go fast. Bigger machines take you there quicker and easier. As far as the rest of you smaller sled riders. I have not met a young male rider that comes to an opening (lake or whatever ) and doesnt want to blast across there as fast as their machine will let them. Thats your subconscious begging you to take it to your edge...........

Wow that was deep. did I write that? :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Yeah that was quite deep. For me the thrill is not so much in the speed as it is with jumping, cornering, etc.....stuff like snowcross conditions. It's that feeling you get when you land a perfect jump just in time to slice around a corner, hard to decribe but that is what I live for.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
125 Posts
The fastest I ever went on a snow machine was about 110km/h (68mph). That was on a smooth trail, nice and straight. I wouldn't mind being able to go a bit faster .. perhaps say .. 80mph or so .. but I'm pretty sure I'd be terrified at that point.

What I really like is the takeoff power. My machine (safari 377) doesn't have a whole lot of that. My father's 440 tran sport has a nice bit of oomph, but from a stand still won't spin its track. Got traction tho!

Anyway .. not much of a point here, but just thought I'd add my .02

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by mrwentz:

They are not that fast. I now a guy that does testing and he said they only look nice.

Michael Wentz[/quote]

Yeah and my neighbors cousins dads uncles brothers friend says that they are fast. Fast is realative. What is fast for one person may not be to the next. Put the Pro-X and a Thundercat on a snowcross track and which one is faster....now put the same two on a lake. See what I mean. Blanket statements come back to haunt you.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Originally posted by intendedacceleration:

Yeah that was quite deep. For me the thrill is not so much in the speed as it is with jumping, cornering, etc.....stuff like snowcross conditions. It's that feeling you get when you land a perfect jump just in time to slice around a corner, hard to decribe but that is what I live for.

AMEN to that !

Dude, don't freak out.​

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
personaly rideing down a strait flat peice of land is kind of boring for me. Its alright for a lil bit but for me when i really get in the zone is when your on a cross country track that is rougher than h#ll and you are just hauling down it. that is the best feeling in the world also when you are gettin huge air that is awsome. I mean really whats the odds of you looseing your snowmobile on a flat peice of ground . I know my sled will go about 115+ and when i am going that fast the only thing that scares me is if a car pulls out in front of you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts