Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i am seeing alot of good sleds for cheap but they have burned out cylanders how hard is it to rebuild an engine, for a expierenced mechanic, and how long its going to take. My neighbor charges me for parts and then ten bucks an hour because i help his race team out.
Thanks Zach.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
depends what's wrong with it. you need to know why it burned up or it will just happen again as soon as you rebuild it. if you burn a piston and cylinder it's pretty simple to swap them out. I did it in about an hour and a half on my polaris 800 last winter. that was including having a hard time getting the wrist pin out to get the bad piston off. it really depends what caused it and how bad the damage is.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is the ad, its usually because it ran lean. http://greenbay.craigslist.org/rvs/1869412482.html

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Top end rebuild in a lot of cases can be done in under an hour and a half if you have a clue as to what your doing. Bottom end is a lot longer. Price of parts should be your only concern.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
but you need to know why it ran lean. did it run lean from a bad crank seal? or wrong jetting? or a bad carb boot? or something else? snowmobile motors aren't complicated. the parts hurt the wallet. finding the specific reason it burned up may be the hard part. you drain coolant down, a few bolts to remove the head(s), a few cylinder bolts and the top is off. sticking it back on is just as easy as long as the wrist pins go in and our smoothly and you can finagle the piston rings into the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya how much is it for a new top end if it is all used parts, and how much is it if it is all new parts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
zecow224 said:
ya how much is it for a new top end if it is all used parts, and how much is it if it is all new parts.
denniskirk.com shadetreepowersports.com

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
look at ebay for parts. brand new cylinders are waaay expensive. remanufactured cylinders are usually a around $200-$300 depending where you get them. that's the way to go for cylinders. new pistons aren't expensive. if a motor has a bad crank seal that made it run lean, you have to take the whole motor apart. the actual work isn't that hard, but you need to be clean and meticulous in assembly.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
nothing easier than a two stroke, just send the cylinders out for inpsection and hone, usually 15$ per cylinder. send the crank out for inspection. the inspections are usually free.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well can i just get an estimate for a twin if i have to replace the whole topend?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
$200/ 1 cylinder
$200/ 1 cylinder
$125 /2 pistons
$75/gasket set

=$600 approximately. lots of variables.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok cause i just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arctic-Cat-ZR-600-2000-2001-2002-Wiseco-Pistons-Gaskets-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eab31f13bQQitemZ200440672571QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories but idk cause this sled needs a rebuilt rear shock.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would stay away from wiesco pistons. Go with SPI they are good as stock and priced pretty well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
zecow224 said:
ok i see do they just wear alot faster or what?
difference is in the material and manufacturing. do a search on "cast vs forged". tolerance, not wear, is the issue, as well as staring/warming procedures and habits.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm running spi's, I'm not sure if I got bad rings or what but my sled seems to have low comp. I might chalk that up to either improper break in or possibly bad crank seals which no signs of a poor running engine are showing. I might also have a bad comp tester to start with lol. If you can find spi's go for it, because they have been holding up really well the last 800 miles of hard riding I've put them through(50% pow which is usually flat out)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i see well i am asking this because i am not sure what is wrong with my sled and am assuming it will need a topend rebuild.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Empire087 said:
I'm running spi's, I'm not sure if I got bad rings or what but my sled seems to have low comp. I might chalk that up to either improper break in or possibly bad crank seals which no signs of a poor running engine are showing. I might also have a bad comp tester to start with lol. If you can find spi's go for it, because they have been holding up really well the last 800 miles of hard riding I've put them through(50% pow which is usually flat out)
did you have fresh honed cylinders or just put new rings and and pistons in worn cylinders?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I got a replated cylinder, it was honed so i honed the old one. I put new pistons and rings in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts