Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I find myself rather antsy. I want snow and I want it now.

For the last two years, I've found a way to keep myself busier in the off season (and still be caught up in sled-related projects).

You see, I work at a sign shop and I get to tinker with all of the nice vehicle-graphics machines on the weekends.

Last year, I made up my '95 Polaris 600xcr to look as though it had two long, bloody sawblades running down the hood on either side. Neat. (I will post pictures of this sometime soon).

Currently, I am planning a paint job that will leave it adorned like a WWII fighter plane or bomber. (Special thanks to whoever previously posted this pic of a 600xcr, as I didn't have any pics of my sled to doctor up)

This is a mock-up of the plan:

This is a close-up of the pin-up on the side:

All of the decals will be done in reflective vinyl so that they glow like a street sign would with a headlight pointed in their general direction. The paint will be a true olive-drab based on the same mix the army uses.

Whattya think?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Thats would deffently be a one of a kind sled..Welcome to TUSF.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Very cool, reminds me of one of the new schemes for the FireCat, the Jet Fighter version.

Definately post some pics of the finished product. And welcome to TUSF!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes all around; I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a good snowmobile forum.

I don't have any pics of my current sled yet, but here is an example of the 'sled saws' that run down the side of the hood:

Also, I did up my helmet with some bloody metal bits and some wicked curvy ram horns.
Here is the top of the helmet just above of the visor:

Here is the horn that comes out of the previous picture and wraps around the side of the helmet:

Here is a metal tube that runs down the side of the helmet to the breathe-vent area:

And finally, here is the little metal thing-a-ma-bob that sits on either side of my visor, at the corners:

All the work was worth it, 'cause boy does the sled get some looks on the trail.

Stuff600, tell your brother thanks for the template pic!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Most of the people I ride with think I'm a nut, but I think that's half the fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the irony - I've got a brand new Canon Powershot G2, but Iost the key to the masterlock on my trailer. I've got to hack it off this weekend, and then I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Very cool graphics.

Why not go all the way and do some exhaust pipes on the sides (just like the F-7 Jetfighter version) and machine guns, or sidewinder missles on the trailing arms.

That would look great.

I really like all your other graphics too, nothing like making your sled your own.

K

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FasEnuf, I've seen the Firecats and I wanted to do something that captured the same spirit in a little bit of a simpler way. More of a 'what would a snowmobile look like if it was used in WWII?' than trying to make it into a fighter plane, specificaly. I wasn't clear on that in my first post, at all.

I am trying for something that looks a little less involved, something without rivets and a lot of airbrushing.

It is missing something, though. I am going to take a lot of different angled pics of my sled this weekend and see just where the open spots are in the design.

Thanks for the welcome, Erick!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks - for the comment and the original picture. I am going to sign off for the weekend, here, but I will be back Monday with pics of last years decal kit.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by Inventory4
[br]That's the irony - I've got a brand new Canon Powershot G2, but Iost the key to the masterlock on my trailer. I've got to hack it off this weekend, and then I'll post some pics.
Don't ask me how I know, but...Masterlocks are easy to break. Way too easy. Just take a hammer, and strike downward towards the lock from where the U is. I forgot the combo to my trailer once, and it took two hard blows and the lock poped right open. So much for security!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, Ripperd, thanks for the suggestion. I ended up not being home for more than a few hours this weekend to sleep and do some yardwork, etc. I didn't have a chance to do anything to the lock. However, I was able to take some pics of my helmet.

These should help make sense of the other pics I posted:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks - I'm going to see if I can't get the locks of my trailer tonight and get a pic or two of the sled.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts