Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My track had 96 studs in it, last year I threw about 5 of them. My question is this: Do I need to replace my track, since there are rips from where the studs came out? Or can I run the track awhile as long I verify that the other studs are secure?

I think the main reason the studs came out was due to the fact that the person I bought the sled from did not center them in the track section and placed them too close to the edge. I am thinking of removing all the studs on the outside edge of the track and moving them inside.

What do you think?

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eye.jpg

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
This is iffy, I guess nobody knows when it will give out, but if there are large areas gone, I wouldn't put much faith in it. u can try to burn the fibers together in the holes to try and make it not continue to rip.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Depending on how much you want to spend, there is a company about 30 miles from where I live that repairs damaged tracks. The company is 'Carroll Tech' and is in Niskayuna, New York. They have adds in several sled magazines with their address, phone number and pictures of actual repairs. Its definitely cheaper than a new track, but the cost of repair plus shipping from where you live, Minnesota, might not be that much of a savings, but it doesnt hurt to ask. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I would probably take the studs out. You said 5 went last year? It is an iffy like Polaris-Man said. In my opinion, if the person you bought it from did a crappy job of putting them in, i would take them out.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
hows ur luck been lately?
if ur a lucky person, it will last another year, if unlucky.....id check into doint sumptin bout it

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I would say time to go to a swap meet and get a good used track. I ran a track with one stud pulled out for one year. At the end of that season it was pretty much shot. Riley

good day

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yeah that Carrol Tech's site is very informative.
They've got dealers all over, even close to me.
Here is a link their list.
Good luck.....small repair now or new track next year.

http://www.carrolltech.com/currentReps.htm

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
persoanlly i would look for a good used track...not realy good running a ripped track...personally i dont think it is...but iyts just my opninion...too many risks

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, I am going to be keeping my eye out for a used track and I am also going to contact the track repair place. The pics they show were pretty impressive.

For now, I have removed the outside studs that were too close to the edge of the track. I also noticed that they were not lock-tited, so I went through that mess also.

Thanks again.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eye.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Depends on what kind of rips your talking about. I've run tracks while racing that had 6 bars broken and 2 bar length chunks ripped out of the outside belt during the 500 and made it. I've also had many tracks where studs pulled through during the first race of the year and still run the track the rest of the year. i've seen really bad tracks that made another year.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent a note to the track repair company and they replied that the track is not worth saving. I think that I am going to run her till she rips. 95% of the riding I do is local, and with the cell phone I am not worried.

I have not lost any complete sections of the track, oh well.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts