Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long is the track on my 81 Jag 4000 440?
Matt

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol.. but how do I measure it.. tought or loose?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
whats the diff? it will still b the same length.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
All new tracks are 2.53 inches between the track windows. Count how many windows you have and multiply by 2.53 inches.
Or on an older sled measure the distance between rods in the track or even cleats and multiply by the number of rods.
(example-(48 bars * 2.53 inches =121 inch track)
Do some Math and have fun!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would there be no differance between a tought track and a loose track.. you would get two diff. measurements..
Thanx Erick and TXC.. I "DO" know it is a 15-inch wide track.. just unaware of it's length..
Matt

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
lol no matter how tight or loose the trak is the lenght will always be the same. its not like an elastic.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it doesn't matter if there is 6 inches of sag.. it will still be the same reading?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
yup it will still b the same lenght

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do ya figger that one?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
becuase it doesnt stretch or shrink, it might over time so if track is 121" it might be 122" now, but tensioning your track wont make any difference

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
Because if it's sagging, that is because the rear idler wheels aren't screwed back far enough to make it tight. It doesn't change the physical length of the track.

On my Pro X, it has a 121 X 15 X 1" track. Meaning it's 121 inches long, 15 inches wide and has 1 inch lugs.

Whether the track sags 6 inches or 0 inches, the track is still only 121 inches long.

That's how we figure it.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]Because if it's sagging, that is because the rear idler wheels aren't screwed back far enough to make it tight. It doesn't change the physical length of the track.

On my Pro X, it has a 121 X 15 X 1" track. Meaning it's 121 inches long, 15 inches wide and has 1 inch lugs.

Whether the track sags 6 inches or 0 inches, the track is still only 121 inches long.

That's how we figure it.
agree

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aaaah.. ok.. you guys are talking about taking measurements from the track being tightly bolted to the undercarriage..
I am talkin about my track just hangin there.. the undercarriage is unbolted except for 2 screws.. and coils, etc.. are just hangin there.
Thanks for the clarification..
BTW.. does anybody have a track that will fit my sled? I will buy it off of ya..
Matt
(preferably a rubber track..)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I can't stand this any longer.

That should have been your first question.
"Anyone have a track for an 81 Jag"

Parts shops have something called a "Parts Catalogue", and inside will be a "Track Application Chart" with your sleds track length, width, and pitch.

You will also be able to tell what other models take that track, and you can search for a used "rubber" track for those models, rather than just your beloved 81 Jag.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I have a friend who might have a track that will fit.. he just has to get to his dad's sometime soon..
Thanx for the advice..

G

·
Whew!!!

I still don't think he gets it. The track length is around the track. Wrap a tape measure around your head, and read the Number backward in a mirror. That is your hat size. Wrap a tape around your belly to see what size pants fit. Same consept. Works the same with a snowmobile track. The length of the track is measured AROUND the track. It could be laying in a cow barn and the length will still be the same.

D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
81 Jag,
Thats like saying a loop of string pulled taught is not the same as if it were allowed to hang.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts