Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang, this thing ain't gonna last long....

I spotted a couple cracks in-between the webs in the center, and its got blistering at about half way out on the surface..

Who replaces the fixed sheaves, and rebalances?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I wouldnt ride it till you got a diffrent one or very bad things could happen. I would think it would be cheaper to get a good used one than have that one fixed.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not my riding sled, it's my drag sled...

They were there in my avatar pic, only one run between that pic and right now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Still I wouldnt run it until you get a new one. A cracked clutch is no good at all.

Best to park it, Think of the bill that you would get if it exploded at WOT......

Belly pan, side of the sled, belt guard, who knows could even do damage to the motor if it doesnt get shut down in time......

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you notice that I said "my drag sled"?

If you ain't blown something up during a drag race, you ain't raced...

I have a race in 2 days, don't have time to find a new one and get it rebuilt. I'll just have to keep an eye on it between runs. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Did you notice that I said "my drag sled"?

If you ain't blown something up during a drag race, you ain't raced...

I have a race in 2 days, don't have time to find a new one and get it rebuilt. I'll just have to keep an eye on it between runs. [thumb]
Good Luck With it!!!![thumb]

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You got a damn barn full....yank one off the others and use it till you get a replacement. I don't think I would run it either, especially in a race sled.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's only one other sled with a clutch that will fit, and I'm not taking apart my '05 800 touring sled for it..

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Race spec clutch covers are meant to catch exploding belts, not aluminum shrapnel. Take the 20 minutes to yank the clutch off the 05 and use it until you can get a new one. Do you know anyone who has ever had a clutch explode? It's not a pretty thing.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
saw one blow at the starting line while they were revving it to heat the pipes. the plastic belly pan did nothing to slow down the parts. some of the bigger stuff stuck in the ice and other small chunks flew around. luckily the clutch guard did its job. it was no more but it worked for that one time. pretty neat to see happen.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I have my answer... >drumroll please< Never..

I pulled the clutch off, and saw a crack in the back side that wasn't there when I rebuilt it 2 weeks ago, so I swapped with the 800 clutch for this weekend.

Had a little bit of a surprise when I pulled the rope to start the sled for a test run, and the sled started moving across the floor once it started..

Found what caused that, can anyone guess what is was?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Wrong belt?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Negative on both..

The clutch bolt washer is different sizes.. Smaller on the newer clutches, and bigger on the older.

So tightening the bolt using the older larger washer on the newer clutch with the smaller hole for the washer, actually closed the clutch about 1/8".

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The joys and lessons of swapping parts.. [thumb]

How I found it was putting the belt in the groove on the motor it was binding. When I popped the clutch back off, for some reason I immediately tried the belt again, and it was normal. After that, it took about 3 seconds for the bell to go off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts