Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time is required to allow your sled to warm up when its cold...do certain sleds need more time than others?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Usually start my sled on the trailer, drag it off, put my gear on, and putz around alittle. Probally about 2-5 min. total. Or how ever long it takes to smoke a cigerette.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Usually a minute or two is substantial warm up time. Some sleds are pretty much start and go otherwise they foul plugs from what I have heard.

*edit* - I guess I should add this. If it sounds like it's missing really bad, then you need to let it warm up more. Basically you will be unable to even run half throttle if it is to cold.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you have forged pistons (such as Weisco's) you need to make sure the engine is warm before taking off.. 5 minutes may not be enough. If you feel the heat exchanger in the rear of the tunnel and it's warm, you should be good to go. Foged pistons expand at a different rate than cast cylinders and if you take off without proper warm-up, the engine can cold-seize...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know my 2002 600 takes no time at all to warm up. As for my 1995 Indy 500, it takes 10 - 15 mins to get warm. Kinda depends on the sled I guess

Raceman1

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by BC_Dan
[br]If you have forged pistons (such as Weisco's) you need to make sure the engine is warm before taking off.. 5 minutes may not be enough. If you feel the heat exchanger in the rear of the tunnel and it's warm, you should be good to go. Foged pistons expand at a different rate than cast cylinders and if you take off without proper warm-up, the engine can cold-seize...
^ this guy is right..always let your sled warm up 5-10 mins.
i do close to 10, by the time i get dressed up she's good to
go.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I always start my sleds and let them warm up for at least 3-5 minutes ,then just cruise for a while,before cracking the throttle because you are also suppose to let the track have a little warmup time also

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Usually I wait until it idles perfect and then give it another minute or two, but if it feels like it's boggin down then you need to let it worm up more

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I plug my ride in so the engine is warm before I even start it. Before I go anywhere though, the water temp gauge has to read at least 100* F. Then I blip the throttle and spin the track some to loosen the track and warm the belt. Take it off the track-stand and go.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Letting a sled sit and idle is bad for the primary clutch and the belt. The belt sits on the primary shaft and heats the shaft and creates weak spots in the belt. Hence the 1.5 section of belt always missing if you blow one. Best is to start it, wait 20 sec or so and then keep brappin the throtle enough to spin the track a little and then let it idle. If everything is set right your track should rotate slowly at idle. After about 1-2 min go by brapping it every now and then, ride it slow but brappin the throttle on and off from 0-1/2 throttle or so. Most sleds will load up on you if you go slow at steady throttle on a cold engine. Long idle periods will load it up as well.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
any more than a minite is a waste of good riding because in 10 min i can be at a bar haveing wings.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My sled is really cold blodded... I usually give it 10mins or it doesn't run right for a while.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
just make sure you let it idle a couples of minutes. When you strat to ride, don't put it at WOT, go smooth and let the engine to "awake"

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Originally posted by iamultraman
[br]hey bisshys...isnt Kelvington the home of Wendal Clark!!!Go Leafs!
he is retired and sorry not a hockey fan

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't think the warm up time really matters as much as how hard you ride it for the first 5 minutes or so. I mean, you do have to warm it up a bit...but for me only a couple minutes, then I drive it making sure I'm taking it easy until it warms up.... But one thing is for sure you should wait at least a couple minutes before touching the throttle....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Usually I will start my sled, wait outside with it untill its idling smoothly without the use of the choke (usually about 30 seconds). Then I will go back in the house and put all my gear on and by the time I come back out its ready to go. Usually thats about 5 minutes.
Fan-cooled sleds usually require more warm-up time than liquids because they always have cool air flowing over the motor whereas with a liquid-cooled sled unless you are moving its not getting enough snow on the heat exchangers to keep the engine cool.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by iamultraman
[br]Hey harmonkardon35...love that avatar!!!!Cory Trevor, lets go...two smokes!!
haha, yeah I think that show is awesome

Hey, you want anything at the store ricky?

Yeah...uhh get me some chips... dressed all over and some zesty mordant...HAHA! (Zesty mordant is the french writing on the zesty cheese chips)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts