Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I was wondering how many miles guys are getting on the 488 F/C Fuji? I realize it depends on how its driven etc. but how far have some of you gone without rebuild. I have a 95 Tail I bought last year and it still seems to be running great with 5200 miles on it (allthough the compression is abit low 100psi/side ) My 92 safari 377 that I have had for years still runs fine with over 10,000km on it and its never been apart.
Should I do the top end on the Polaris this summer, top and bottom (this might be abit pricy for my budget) or runer till she flies apart.
Thanks, (this place has been an awesum source of info for me)

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
you ought to be able to do at least 10,000mi if the drivetrain and suspension are taken care of, without breaking open the motor.
-Dean

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've got 8200 miles on mine but its been split open a few of times.
1. Pistons
2.Crank bearings
3.Crank bearings
4.Crank bearings, rod bearings.

After that i got pissed off so i turned the oiler up so that it burns one tank of oil to 1.5 tank of gas. Bet it won't do that again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My cousin just turned over 10,000 miles on his 1997 Indy Trail last weekend. Never had any major engine work, just regular maintenance. These motors are bullet-proof.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can expect engine problems with an air cooled engine after 5,000 miles. Of course it all depends on how well it was taken care of. Hard starting and a rough idle are your first symptoms.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
i had and have seen lots of trails with the 488f/c with 12,000-14,000 miles on them that run just as good as they did new. as long as the difference between cylinder pressure doesn't vary by 10% don't worry. I have a 82 txl indy with 100 psi and thats all it had new, it also has 9,000 miles on it with no tear downs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
98 indy500 with 6,700miles

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Those 488 Fuji's are bullet-proof alright.
But a few tips to keep her fire'n:
1. Fog her every spring
2. Use only premium fuels
3. Check those plugs often on warm days, don't lean her out

BTW: If you do the work yourself...rebuild it this summer when you are in withdrawl.
That way she'll be ready for winter with a fresh engine.
It doesn't cost that much...maybe 250 for pistons, rings, bearings, seals and a little honing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
3 things ive never done LOL
oh well
new prox600 next winter

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by sukmy49311
[br]new prox600 next winter
SWEEEEEEEEEET.....nice sled.

·
Registered
749 Posts
bulletproof my ass i have one and its not bulletproof. Well i geuss im not easy on stuff either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My cousin just turned over 10,000 miles on his 1997 Indy Trail last weekend. Never had any major engine work, just regular maintenance.
You guys will laugh at this. The other day my cousin took his sled out for a ride and one of the clutch weights seized causing the clutch not engage. Long story short when he pinned it the motor revved way too high and burned up a piston!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with xcr440 I have seen the same. Liquids are nice, faster, but fan cooled go futher most of the time with less service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a 94 488 fuji fan and a 01 550 supersport. i believe in adding oil to the gas tank, not a whole bunch but enough to give me that warm fuzzy feeling. i also believe in premium fuel and a good dose of ISO. i do not have a bunch of miles on either but i have seem sleds with 5 and 10 thousand still running. short on compression, add oil, it seals the rings and lubes the bearings. oh and by the way horsepower does not suffer even @ 20/1.

let her smoke

·
Registered
83 Posts
have a 89 trail (488), like in the pic, burnt 3 pistons one winter (at 5000 miles) and then dropped it in the lake the next winter. Haven't had a prob ever since. The water from the lake must have cleaned her out.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have a 94 Trail Indy for my daughter. The only time I have had any problems was when I tried to ride it and the temp was -40 degrees. The oil turned to grease and didn't lube the cylinder and I burned it down. Bored it .010 over put in a ne piston and it still runs perfect. Dean at 100 lbs of compression that is a little low but nothing a set of pistons and rings won't take care of. If I remember right my Trail has between 135 and 140 lbs of compression. Riley

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My 1989 Indy 500 (488cc)....i know, it's a liquid...... i sold it with 7400 miles on the original motor, never rebuilt. I was amazed at the abuse it could take. I wished I never sold it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts