Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how many teeth are suposed to be on the top gear" the smaller one" in the chaincase of a 1990 indy 500 ? mine has 19 the guy i bought it from said he changed it for better response and gave me the old gear but i just checked it,it has 19 teeth as well.
when you change gears for less top end more bottom end is it the top gear or the big gear you change? any help appreciated

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one knows?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You can change either. The top sprocket will give you a much more dramatic effect while the bottom gear will give you a less dramtic effect. But putting less teeth on either will draw the more low end out of the machine.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You take teeth from the top gear or add them to the bottom gear to get more bottom end grunt. For more grunt do both.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks but but is 19 teeth stock?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by radianguy
[br]You take teeth from the top gear or add them to the bottom gear to get more bottom end grunt. For more grunt do both.
Good save I don't know what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i say it was probably 21 my friends xlt 600 has 21 and they are all basicly the same (indys) and like radianguy said u take them away from the top.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys much appreciated

·
Registered
153 Posts
It should have a 21 tooth top and a 39 tooth bottom with a 64pitch chain. These things are geared way high! You can go down to a 17 at full shift out at 8200 should put you at 77 mph. Under ideal conditions you should be able to over drive that (rpms start going over 8200 at full shift out) and get another 8 mph on top of that (9200 rpms) for a true 85mph. Just don't hold it pinned for too long if you get into the over rev scenario. RPM's are free!!! Well they used to be! I used to set up the 340 tx-l this way and a freind of mine did a 400 this way also. It was alot of fun racing bigger sleds back then!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
According to the Polaris parts manual, a stock 1990 Indy 500 has a 19 tooth top gear and a 35 tooth bottom gear with a 64 pitch chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts